The Artsy Jumbo | Weitzman experiments with electronic music

As both a member of the group Handsome Presidents Club and a solo artist under the name Truth Spherum, junior Ben Weitzman has found himself dabbling in the world of electronic music during his time at Tufts.

According to Weitzman, it was only recently that he was introduced to electronic music. As Truth Spherum, Weitzman has even created his own unique genre called "dumb ‘n bass." "It's sort of a parody of drum and bass, another form of electronic music," Weitzman said. "I enjoy experimenting and creating sounds, playing around with it and learning how to do it."

What drew Weitzman to this genre of music was the ease and improvisation of the creative process. "Anyone who has a computer can mess around and do it. I can make it sound good without having to invest a lot of money and time," Weitzman said.

Also including juniors Ali Berger, Marshall Moutenot and Thomas Cahill, the Handsome Presidents Club has self−released a total of eight albums, each running for about 40 minutes to an hour long. "All of The Handsome Presidents Club stuff is improvised with no editing," Weitzman explained. "We play it, record it and that's it."

Weitzman's personality mimics the off−the−cuff improvisation of his music: He's a humble musician and doesn't take himself too seriously. Or, in his words, "We're just doing it for fun."