Two community reps appointed to TCU Senate

The Tufts Community Union Senate on Monday appointed two students as community representatives to represent the Queer Straight Alliance (QSA) and the Asian American Alliance (AAA).

Freshman Grainne Griffiths will represent QSA and Tufts' LGBT community on the Senate. Griffiths on Feb. 14 ran unopposed in an election held by QSA after sophomore Alex Lis-Perlis resigned from the position last month.

Griffiths aims to better coordinate QSA's activities with those of other groups on campus in an effort to emphasize shared experiences.

"I want to integrate more events with other Group of Six members as well as other groups on campus," she said. "We don't want to focus on an issue that only people who identify as LGBT can relate to; we want to recognize similarities between different groups."

Griffiths also hopes to improve coordination between different LGBT-focused groups on campus.

"I'm very excited to integrate all the different efforts of the LGBT groups at Tufts," she said. "Right now, everyone seems to be on a different page, but I'm excited for us to work together more."

Junior Richa Batra will serve as the community representative for the AAA and the Asian-American community at Tufts. Batra was selected for the position two weeks ago in an election held by the Asian American Center.

She stressed the importance of increasing diversity within Senate

"I want to act as a voice for the Asian-American community within Senate," Batra said. "I think the position is very important, especially now that community reps have more rights on Senate and because it brings more diversity to the body. I'm happy to be a part of it."