Thumbnail optional | The gift of a dream

As the close friend of many illegal students, I realize the importance of the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act for minority students. These students want nothing but to have the opportunity to better themselves, their future and to become productive members of society. As the Daily does, I too believe that these immigrants should be protected, especially if they are perusing higher education, if they are members of the military and if they are people of good moral standards. Many of these students were brought to the United States by their parents not knowing they were coming here illegally. Besides the fact that they are illegal, they are students that have the same goal as other students.

As mentioned in last week's editorial, by allowing these students to have a chance at an education or military service we "will strengthen both our economy and military." As we know, our economy is still suffering, and if this act can bring $1.4 trillion into the national economy, why should we overlook what immigrant students can do for our country? Another great aspect of the DREAM Act is that we are not just letting anyone get their citizenship; we are talking about hardworking individuals, students who want to prosper and people who want to serve this country. In this way, the DREAM Act can be used as a filter, allowing in only those with clean records and a commitment to their education - it allows us to aid those who show promise to use their education to contribute to society. We are aiding people of good moral character that came to this country to study and work hard, not people who came to break the law.

There are many students right now who are trying to better their lives by going to school and who are working so that they can pay rising tuition costs. But in the end, will all that work and education go to waste? What more can we ask from these individuals? They are willing to fight for a country that they do not belong to, obey every law that this state has and get an education - all for the chance to stay in this land of opportunity.

Many of these students came to this country not knowing that they were coming here illegally because they were so young. For example, a childhood friend of mine was brought to the United States at a young age and has since graduated high school. He wants to go to college and better his life, but now realizes that he is stuck [on] a dead?end road. Even though he has lived in the United States since he was an infant, he realizes that without citizenship, he is stuck working dead?end jobs and cannot move on with his life. There are many stories similar to this one; students that you would never guess are illegal immigrants are forced to work low?paying, back?breaking jobs because their dream of becoming a citizen cannot be fulfilled.

The DREAM Act will change the lives of many people, creating jobs and bringing in money for the economy. Immigrants come to this country for a better chance at life for themselves and their kids and they hope to make a difference for future generations of all immigrants - not just Hispanics. People risk their lives to enter this land and when they make it into the country they struggle every day. Why not end this struggle? After so many years why punish the kids? The future of deserving people should not suffer for our broken immigration system.Instead, we need to realize that people risk their lives coming to the United States and many die trying. If they are willing to die just to enter this land of riches, why should we look the other way? Why should we not give them the opportunity to live the life that we are all after? Lets open our hearts and end the struggle.

--