Festival Preview | Independent Film Festival of Boston kicks off tomorrow night

Tomorrow night, the Independent Film Festival of Boston — featuring some of this year’s most talked about independent films — begins with the screening of Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini’s “The Extra Man.” As is tradition, the film will play at Somerville Theatre, starting at 7:30 p.m. One of the stars, critically−acclaimed actor Kevin Kline, will be in attendance for the opening of the festival.

The fact that the regular film passes for the entire festival have already sold out speaks to the quality of films coming to the festival this year. Screening in art house theaters across the city — including the Somerville Theatre in Davis Square, the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square, the Institute of Contemporary Art in the South End and the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline — these independent films will take over Boston for the next week.

Among the films coming to the festival this week are this year’s Sundance Grand Jury Prize winner, “Winter’s Bone,” both the Narrative and Documentary winners at the South by Southwest festival, “Tiny Furniture” and “Marwencol,” respectively, as well as numerous other narrative features, documentaries and short films.

The festival also includes question and answer sessions with many of the films’ directors and actors after the screenings, and the intimacy of the theater spaces means that one can get up close and personal with these wonderful filmmakers. There are also a few panels throughout the week, like “Making a Feature Film in Massachusetts on an Indie Budget,” in which festival−goers can partake.

The Daily will be sending three writers to cover the festival as we try to see as many of its films as possible. Readers can check the paper later this week and early next week for updates on films, or, if reading about the films isn’t good enough, individual tickets for specific films are still available through the festival’s website at www.iffboston.org.