From the Editor in Chief | Keeping Tradition

To all of our readers, welcome back and happy 2010!

While many of us were taking it easy for the holidays, the never-ending news cycle didn't seem to get the memo that it was vacation time. Since our last issue came out on Dec. 11, a lot has happened both on and off the Hill.

The Tufts Beelzebubs took the prize for second place in NBC's 'The Singoff,' Tufts has become involved in a sexual harassment lawsuit and an earthquake has devastated thousands in Haiti.

Thanks to our dedicated editorial staff, the Daily managed to cover these stories and others, despite the fact that our print edition was taking a hiatus. And now as the semester is getting under way, we're back and ready to continue bringing you the latest in Tufts news every day.

As is the Daily's standard, we will only be printing issues every other day for the first two full weeks of classes. Many people think the Daily does this so that we editors can take our time getting acclimated to the new semester -- but, in reality, we're just trying to ensure that you are able to pay attention in class for the first couple of weeks. We all know that as soon as we go daily, it's goodbye professor, hello Jumble. As always, we're just looking out for you.

If asked, many people would tell you that the print media industry is a dying one. And in some ways they're probably right. In an age when news is free and available online 24/7, the concept of financing a daily print newspaper is becoming less and less feasible. While we at the Daily have certainly had our share of financial woes, we are nevertheless dedicated to continuing the tradition that our Daily forefathers began way back in ye olde 1980. As we continue to improve our online coverage and rev up the Daily's new media content, our number one priority will always be to print a newspaper every day that brings you the most up to date, objective and accurate coverage we can possibly provide.

As we promise to do everything we can to hold up our end of the journalistic bargain, we encourage you, the Tufts community, to help make our paper better by getting involved as well. Fed up with a campus policy? Write about it. Send your submission to oped@tuftsdaily.com and we'll print it for you. Have a problem with our coverage? Send a letter to editor@tuftsdaily.com or give us a call at 617-627-3090. Or for those of you who are feeling particularly friendly, stop by our office in the basement of Curtis Hall and say hello. If it's after 4 p.m. (that's what time we wake up) we'll be there!

Of course the best way to get involved with the Daily is to join us. We're always looking for new members, and there are opportunities to get involved in fields ranging from traditional news reporting to mastering the art of new media. Come to our general interest meeting on Jan. 27 at 9:30 p.m. in Braker 001 to learn more.

Thanks, as always, for helping keep the Daily tradition alive. We're looking forward to an exciting news-filled semester, and we hope you are too!

Sincerely,
Kerianne Okie
Editor in Chief