Interactive Map | Police Briefs

View Police Blotter - Dec. 8, 2009 in a larger map

It's Miller time

The Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) received a call at 5:18 a.m. on Nov. 25 from a female student in Miller Hall who reported that she woke up in her room to find a male she did not know standing there. She yelled at him, he ran out of the room and she followed him. She saw him enter a room down the hallway, and responding officers entered that room.

Officers found three students in the room, and the female student identified one of them as the male who had entered her room.

The officers' further investigation found that the male student had been drinking earlier that night at a fraternity, and then in a room on the fourth floor of Miller until around 3:30 a.m., when he went into a lounge on the first floor of the dormitory and fell asleep.

When he woke up, he was still intoxicated and went looking for a friend in the dorm. He said the female student's door was cracked open, and he entered the room.

A report was sent to the dean's office.

Sketchiest. Liquor sale. Ever.

A TUPD officer noticed a student at Latin Way and Tilton Lane talking to someone in a vehicle at 12:06 a.m. on Dec. 4, and the officer thought that the pair might have exchanged an object. When the student saw the officer, he started walking away.

The officer stopped the student, who told him he thought the person in the vehicle was a friend of his, but realized it wasn't. The student at first said he did not have identification on him, but eventually showed his Tufts ID.

Responding officers approached the person in the vehicle, who turned out to be associated with Woody's Liquors in Somerville. The individual said the student had wanted to purchase a handle of Caldwell's Vodka, but that he did not sell it to the student because the latter did not have an ID. The student turned out to be underage.

The receipt had a phone number on it. "When the officer dialed it," TUPD Sgt. Robert McCarthy said, the "student's phone started ringing."

A report was sent to the dean's office, and TUPD contacted the Somerville Police Department about Woody's Liquor selling to underage people and operating after the closing time mandated for liquor stores.

I think I have a shot(s) at Harvard!

TUPD received a report of an intoxicated male outside 40 Powder House Blvd. at 12:20 a.m. on Dec. 5. TUPD officers responded and found the male, a student, sitting on the sidewalk.

"He stated he had been drinking lots of shots at Harvard," McCarthy said.

The male, who was underage, was transported to Somerville Hospital.

Traveling treasure trunk of badass

Officers responded to a report at 12:49 a.m. on Dec. 6 of a fight at the Theta Delta Chi fraternity house at 123 Packard Ave.

Three underage individuals not affiliated with Tufts were "in there causing a problem," McCarthy said. When they were asked to leave, a fight broke out.

One of the three said "they were going to get something from the trunk of a car to take care of them," referring to fraternity brothers, McCarthy said.

Officers who responded stopped the three individuals and searched their car after receiving consent; the officers did not find a weapon. The three received orders not to trespass on Tufts property in the future.

Slight obstacle to studying

TUPD received four reports of laptops stolen at Tisch Library over the past week.

The first report came in at 4:51 p.m. on Dec. 2, and the second theft was reported at 5:36 p.m. on the same day. Both computers were stolen from the lower level of the library. TUPD received a third report at 5:05 p.m. on Dec. 5 of a laptop missing from the main floor of the library, and a fourth report of a stolen laptop came in at 6:56 p.m. on Dec. 6.

In all cases, someone was studying, left the area for a while and returned to find his or her laptop gone, according to McCarthy.