Local shops take the cake for creative, decadent cupcakes

Ever want to escape the Tufts campus rut and explore the surrounding areas? Checking out the various bakery joints around campus in search of cupcakes is a fun and tasty way to explore new places. A day-long search for sugar revealed a few bakeries nearby that are bound to satisfy any cupcake-lover's sweet tooth. Fortunately for Tufts students, three of the following bakeries are located conveniently in Somerville, with another shop in the center of Harvard Square for those who are willing to travel a bit further.
Petsi Pies (285 Beacon Street. in Somerville, accessible by the 96 bus from Davis Square)
    A small pie shop off the beaten path, Petsi Pies is tucked into a tiny nook of a building in Somerville. As the name implies, the bakery specializes in pies, not cupcakes. But have no fear — Petsi's cupcakes are some of the best in town.
    While there aren't many choices, Petsi's cupcakes are definitely worth the trip. The whoopie cupcake, an all-chocolate cupcake with a whipped cream filling, took the prize for best chocolate-on-chocolate cupcake of the day. The coconut cupcake is generously topped with a mound of coconut shavings but should be saved for only the most dedicated of coconut fanatics.
    Because Petsi's is a small, self-owned business, customers might even get the chance to meet Renee McLeod, a.k.a. Petsi Petsi, a sweet Southern lady who started her bakery business in 2003. She still uses her grandmother's pecan pie recipe.

Kickass Cupcakes (378 Highland Avenue in Davis Square)
    Most Tufts students are already familiar with this specialty cupcake bakery. What's great about Kickass Cupcakes is its selection. On any given day, there are about 20 different flavors to choose from, including a few specialty flavors that change daily. From Caramel Macchiato and Strawberry Shortcake to The Mojito and S'mores, this shop has something strange, unusual and delicious to suit every taste.
    All of the specialty cupcakes are worth trying, especially the Strawberry Shortcake, which is probably the best strawberry cupcake of the Kickass bunch. The only downside to Kickass Cupcakes' creations is that they are expensive for their size. Even though Kickass Cupcakes is the smallest of the four bakeries featured, regular cupcakes go for a pricey $2.75 each.
    Kickass Cupcakes owner Sara Ross decided to open her shop after she moved from the West Coast to Boston and found no cupcake bakeries nearby. "We wanted to be near Tufts, as well as Harvard and other colleges, but Somerville also has an interesting mix of people," said Ross.

Lyndell's Bakery (720 Broadway, Somerville)
    Lyndell's doesn't specialize in cupcakes, but has a store conveniently located in Ball Square and has just opened a branch in the North End. This bakery has tons of baked goods, but its cupcakes are definitely a favorite among students.
    The cheapest of the four stores at $1.25 for a regular cupcake, there aren't as many flavors as Kickass or Sweet, but Lyndell's basics are some of the best out there. These are also some of the largest cupcakes, so Lyndell's turn out to be the best bargain. The strawberry and orange cupcakes, which are simple and delicious, are some of the best flavored.
    Lyndell's also has some specialty flavors like Oreo and peanut butter, and if buying for a party, this bakery is the place to go. The only downside is that Lyndell's is a traditional bakery, so there's no place to sit down and eat cupcakes for those who need a sugar fix right away.

Sweet (Zero Brattle Street in Harvard Square)
    This is the second shop opened by Sweet owners, created to keep up with the ongoing demand for their treats after the success of their first store in Back Bay. Sweet's popularity is evident, as people in Harvard Square are constantly coming in and out. With the start of school, Sweet seems to be the new hotspot for students.
    Of the stores featured here, Sweet has the best decor and ambiance. It features a pink and brown scheme, retro movies and music and old-fashioned glass cases.
    Courtney Forrester, the owner of Sweet, wanted her cupcake store to have a fun atmosphere. "We really wanted a whimsical location. We were really lucky to find some fun wallpaper with lots of space and natural light where everyone can see the community around them," said Forrester.
    Sweet also offers a great variety of cupcake selections, with about two dozen flavors offered every day. The shop has a bunch of new flavors to celebrate fall like Chocolate Orange, Salted Chocolate and Caramel Apple. The cupcakes are quite expensive here, but after one bite, ultimate deliciousness seems worth any price.