Interactive Map | Police Briefs

View Police Blotter - Sept. 29, 2009 in a larger map

The GPS saga continues … with a biker?

Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) received a report at 9 p.m. on Sept. 21 that the window of a graduate student's car was smashed and a GPS unit had been taken from the vehicle sometime that day after 4:30 p.m. The car was parked near the intersection of Dearborn Road and College Avenue. Two days later, TUPD received a report of a similar incident in the Eliot-Pearson parking lot. The window of a staff member's car had been broken sometime between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. that day, and a GPS unit was missing.

TUPD learned from the Medford Police Department that there have been a number of off-campus GPS thefts. TUPD Sgt. Robert McCarthy said Medford police had identified "a young guy, literally on a bicycle," as a possible suspect. But a better description has not been provided and it is possible that more than one person might be stealing the systems, McCarthy said.

‘Inspired' burritos?

TUPD officers responded at 8 p.m. on Sept. 24 to a report of a fight taking place in front of Boloco on Boston Avenue. Medford police officers were also dispatched to the scene. When the officers arrived at the eatery, a group of students told them that no fight had taken place, but that a student had fainted outside of the restaurant.

Tufts Emergency Medical Services (TEMS), the Medford Fire Department and Armstrong Ambulance Service arrived to attend to the student, who stated that he had smoked marijuana that may have been laced with acid or another substance. He was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. "No, it was nothing in the burritos," McCarthy said.

You are so drunk.

Officers responded at 1:36 a.m. on Sept. 26 to a report of an intoxicated student in Wren Hall. When officers asked the student, who said he had drunk eight to 10 beers, where he was, he said he was in Tilton Hall. "He pointed to the stairwell, and said, ‘That's my room,'" McCarthy said. The student was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

TUPD, TEMS, the Somerville Fire Department and Cataldo Ambulance Service had also responded at 11:42 p.m. that night to a report of an intoxicated student in Bush Hall. The student stated that she had drunk four shots of Captain Morgan rum and seven shots of vodka. "When asked where she was, she stated, ‘Dewick,'" McCarthy said. "When asked what time of the day of it was, she stated, ‘Morning.'" The student was transported to Somerville Hospital.

To stop or not to stop?

TUPD officers noticed over the weekend that three stop signs around campus had been stolen. The signs were located at the intersections of Talbot Avenue and Latin Way; Packard Avenue and Professors Row; and Latin Way and Professors Row. The facilities department was planning to replace the signs yesterday.