Interactive Map | Police Briefs

View Police Blotter Fall 09 in a larger map

Here, doggy doggy…

A Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) officer saw Somerville Police Department (SPD) officers talking with a Tufts student on the porch of a house on Powder House Boulevard at 6 p.m. on Aug. 31. The student indicated that he went on the porch to play with a dog there; the residents called the police because the student appeared intoxicated. No one from the student's own residence could pick him up, so SPD placed him in protective custody.

Porn in the morn

TUPD officers received a call on Sept. 4 at 9:35 a.m. reporting that a man was looking at pornographic Web sites in Eaton Computer Lab and that he refused to leave when staff asked him to. The officers arrived and observed the man, who has no university affiliation, looking at a pornographic site. Upon checking his identification, the officers discovered that he had a default warrant in Malden District Court. A default warrant is issued when someone skips a court date or fails to pay a court-mandated fine. TUPD placed the man in custody, transported him to court and issued him a verbal trespass warning.

Sweet dreams

TUPD officers encountered several students passed out in the hallways of downhill buildings over the past couple of weeks. A TUPD officer found a student sleeping in the lobby of Granoff Music Center – and in a puddle of his own urine – at 6:16 a.m. on Sept. 11. "Somehow he ended up in there," TUPD Sgt. Robert McCarthy said, adding that the student "urinated all over his pants and part of the lobby." An intoxicated male student had also been found asleep on a couch in the lobby of South Hall at 2:12 a.m. on Sept. 5, and was subsequently transported to Somerville Hospital. Eight minutes later, a male student was found unconscious on the first floor of Tilton Hall and was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Assault suspect apprehended

A Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) officer spotted a suspect at 9:50 p.m. on Sept. 5 from an off-campus assault that occurred on Stearns Avenue in Medford. The officer detained the man, who was walking on College Avenue across from Cousens Gym, until the Medford Police Department arrived and placed him under arrest.

Hey Dad! Guess what happened to me in school today!

TUPD received a call from SPD at 11:30 p.m. on Sept. 5 regarding an intoxicated male student who was walking on Curtis Street near Conwell Avenue. Upon responding, TUPD officers smelled a strong odor of alcohol on the student. SPD said they saw him walking down Curtis Street with a bottle of vodka. When he was stopped, the student "said he wasn't doing anything wrong; then he called his father to tell him what was going on," McCarthy said. An SPD officer spoke with his father, who said "he understood the situation," according to McCarthy. TUPD officers gave the student a ride back to his dorm.

"So, in other words, don't call your father," McCarthy said in summing up the incident. "I wouldn't."

Student suspected of drinking and driving

On Sept. 6 at 3:17 a.m. TUPD officers saw a vehicle without its headlights on run a stop sign at Talbot Avenue and turn right onto College Avenue. The officers stopped the vehicle near Powder House Square. "Upon further investigation, it was determined that the driver had been drinking," TUPD Sgt. Robert McCarthy said, adding that there was an odor of alcohol and other signs of alcohol, including "a bottle of Arizona Iced Tea which appeared to have some alcohol in it." The driver, a female student, was arrested for operating under the influence, alcohol in a motor vehicle and underage possession of alcohol. She was transported to Massachusetts State Police Barracks in Medford.

Where's the pot lost and found?

A student turned in a small bag of marijuana at the TUPD station on Sept. 9 at 6:10 p.m. He said he found it by one of the small tables at Dewick-MacPhie Dining Hall. How often is marijuana turned in to TUPD? "Very rarely," according to McCarthy.

Eau de horrible stinging

TUPD officers responded to a call at 4:16 a.m. on Sept. 10 that a female student had sprayed herself with pepper spray at an off-campus house on Curtis Street. "She went in to use the bathroom, she saw what she thought was perfume, but it was pepper spray," McCarthy said. The student was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Ramblin' man

TUPD officers at 12:53 a.m. on Sept. 13 responded to a call from a severely intoxicated student at the Sigma Nu fraternity house at 92 Professors Row. The student had a severe laceration in his right knee. The student was transported to Somerville Hospital for further observation, but TUPD subsequently "received a call that he got up and left the building at around 1:45 a.m.," McCarthy said. Somerville Police found the student a couple blocks away, still wearing his hospital robe and wandering around, McCarthy said.