Jonas Brothers' 3D concert film targets (surprise) teen girls

The "Jonas Brothers: 3D Concert Experience" is pure pop crap, the kind a 13-year-old girl will love now but will forget in a few years (or months, if she's lucky). It has no lasting quality. Nevertheless, tweens and teens alike are sure to adore getting up-close and personal with the Jonas Brothers through a movie that makes them feel as if they had a front row seat to the Jonas Brothers's 2008 summer concert tour, "Burning Up."

The film, which is a compilation of songs from several concerts in California and New York, begins by paying tribute to The Beatles' "A Hard Day's Night" (1964) with the brothers running through New York City chased by screaming fans. It is cheesy but entirely what you would expect from the alcohol-shunning and purity-ring-wearing bros. They are puppy-dog cute and, to a particular audience, superstars.

For those blissfully unaware, the Jonas Brothers are Nick, the soulful songwriter, Joe, the hot singer and Kevin, the other one. For most non-followers, the Jonas Brothers are nice, young gentlemen who happen to perform catchy pop ballads with a Freddie Mercury-esque stage presence. They make huge amounts of money for talent furthered by -- if not created by -- Disney. On the big screen though, their endless energy makes their tirade of formulaic pop songs bearable as they dance and sing their way through about a dozen songs including, "Hold On," "BB Good," and "That's Just the Way We Roll."

Two other Disney artists known mainly by the pre-pubescent, Demi Lovato and Taylor Swift, join the Jonas Brothers on stage. Swift sings her song "Should've Said No," and Lovato performs "This is Me." Swift is severely boring, whereas Lovato holds her own on the stage with her co-stars of this summer's "Camp Rock."

While these Disney creations are the stars of the concert and the focus of the movie, one cannot possibly fail to mention the excruciating shots of hyperventilating young girls watching the concert live. They seem to be in quite some pain as they are constantly screaming and crying. Their behavior is enough to make viewers seriously concerned about the future of American women.

Bruce Hendricks, the mastermind behind "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour," (2008) directs this pop concert documentary. As in his previous film, Hendricks breaks up the performance with clips of the backstage life of the brothers.

Do not expect a film that rivals the quality of rock documentaries like The Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" (1970) and The Band's "The Last Waltz "(1978) though. The Jonas Brothers are filmed during a very busy day of talk show appearances, radio interviews and even an iTunes listening party. These clips are mind-numbing, pointless and utterly boring. Frankly, this behind-the-scenes footage of the three acting "normal" feels suspiciously staged and scripted and does little to humanize the pop princes.

The technology behind the 3D screenings, which will last for a limited time, certainly does make the audience feel like they are genuinely a part of the concert. Guitar picks are thrown out into the crowd, foam is sprayed over the audience and a fireworks display looks amazingly real. For a movie with such a contrived subject, it's surprising that the 3D effect never feels too gimmicky. Even without the twirling and the bouncing of the energized Jonas Brothers, the film is visually stunning, proving that the latest 3D technology is a worthy investment.

For an adoring fan of the Jonas Brothers, the 3D screening of their summer concert is an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. For a more general audience, however, this film affirms the power of Disney to breed and raise million-dollar cash cows.