Students' shortage of hours at Brown and Brew no cup of tea

Shorter business hours at Brown and Brew have hit student workers particularly hard over the past few months, as the recent elimination of weekends and reduction of late-night hours have impacted the shifts taken most often by students.
The popular eatery located in Curtis Hall cut its hours at the beginning of this academic year largely in a bid to save money during the economic downturn. In addition to closing on weekends, the establishment shifted weeknight closing times two hours earlier, from 1 a.m. to 11 p.m.

A number of student employees told the Daily that the schedule changes have resulted in student workers seeing the largest decrease in hours, as students primarily work during the hours that were shortened.

"Student workers aren't getting as many hours as they used to, overall," one student employee said. As most Dining Services workers are generally not allowed to talk to the Daily about issues pertaining to Dining Services, the student employees interviewed for this article only spoke on condition of anonymity.

"They cut the least profitable hours," the student added. "In terms of 11 to 1, there were lots of kids who would sit in Brown and Brew and not order anything."

Another employee said that the shorter hours have made a significant monetary difference for students.

"It's unfortunate because we make very little as it is," a second student worker said. Due to the decrease in hours, "there's a huge reduction in my pay."

Associate Director of Dining Operations Ralph Perrotto confirmed that employees have seen shifts in their hours.

"Obviously schedules have been changed since hours of operation have been changed," he said.

Dining Services did not inform employees of the reductions ahead of time, according to the first student worker.

"That was a big shock," the employee said.

Although nearly all workers have felt the impact of the recession, working hours for employees with benefits have remained the same. Non-student employees at Brown and Brew typically staff the café during the day.

"We have not cut any benefited employee hours," Perrotto said.

But the second student worker said that Dining Services' cost-reduction measures have hit those employees too.

"The people who work 9 to 5 have been asked to step up and try and make things work with less because the entire school is suffering," the student said.

Again and again, Dining Services employees returned to the current recession to explain the situation at the Curtis Hall establishment. The Daily reported last month that Dining Services has seen a drop in business at on-campus eateries that do not accept pre-purchased meals.

"The economic circumstances have certainly had an impact," Perrotto said. "Folks on campus are much more frugal with their discretionary dollars right now. We've seen that … at Brown and Brew, but also throughout campus … I think the reduction in patronage has been comparable across operations."

Brown and Brew student employees echoed Perrotto's comments.

"You never really expect to be affected by the outside world and the tightening of the belt, but clearly there has been a decline in consumption," the first Brown and Brew worker said.

"From a worker's standpoint, we've had our hours cut but I think we all understand that it rests with the problems the school's had with budget and finances," added the other student employee.

Many Dining Services employees also believe that winter weather and Brown and Brew's location have also led to less revenue.

"I think the location of the Brown and Brew has had an impact on the decrease in patronage there," Perrotto said. "The harsh winter that we've had has had an impact." He added that inclement weather has influenced business over the years.

Still, workers tended to focus on broader financial problems when assigning responsibility for their shorter hours.

"I think the blame rests with the economy," the second student worker said.