Student activists reflect on Obama's landslide victory

Tufts Republicans

"I'm feeling as bad as everyone else on this campus is feeling good," Hawley said. "I'm not shocked, I'm just deeply saddened."

For the marginal group of students dismayed by the results of the 2008 presidential election, the overwhelming late-night revelry in the Campus Center when Sen. John McCain made his concession speech added insult to injury.

"I couldn't even bring myself to watch [McCain's speech]," Hawley said.

Despite recent polls indicating a clear path to victory for President Elect Barack Obama, the Tufts Republicans had held out hope that their efforts were not in vain. "I, along with other members of the Tufts Republicans, had worked very hard on this campaign," Hawley said. "And we wouldn't have done that if it were a waste of our time."

For Hawley, the relative silver linings of last night's event were the minor successes within Senate races. "We've not done nearly as badly in the Senate as expected, which gives us some leverage to prevent what we see as disastrous policy being rammed down our throats," he said. "I certainly wouldn't call it a great silver lining. You have to look for good news where you can get it I suppose."

After the culmination of what has been a seemingly never-ending election cycle, the Tufts Republicans will continue to work toward their cause in the wake of an enormous defeat.

"We'll continue to do what we've always done, which is to advance and make the case for our conservative and Republican ideals," Hawley said. "The election is over and now we go back to what we usually do. We'll debate the Dems on occasion, we'll bring speakers. Life will go on."

Tufts Democrats

From the Radisson Hotel in downtown Manchester, N.H., Tufts Democrats President Shana Hurley celebrated the victory of Sen. Barack Obama, riding a wave of joy alongside her fellow activists.

"It's awesome," she said. "Everyone is elated. It was a great night, not only for Barack."

The junior explained that while polls had indicated Obama would likely win the election, she and her fellow student Democrats had learned to be cautious. "[You] never forget that feeling where you think you have it and you don't. We couldn't take it for granted," she said.

Hurley, who was active during both the primaries and the general election, said this cycle represented a shift in youth activism. "Some of us really got it this year," she said. "I really feel like I was part of the process."

But even in light of the initial celebration and wave of happiness resulting from Obama's victory, Hurley said that America and its people have a long and difficult road ahead of them – and that Obama's win does not necessarily ensure the future of the nation.

"I think as young Democrats, as Americans, it's our prerogative to make sure he does his job," she said. "I especially think as young people, it's really up to us to kind of challenge the president and the party, [especially] when we're inheriting the budget deficit. If all these things don't get fixed, not only are we paying for it later, we're paying for it now."

For the Tufts Dems, the victories of both Obama and a number of Democratic congressional candidates present an enormous opportunity. "It provides a really exciting opportunity to force new solutions to come to the top. I think the time demands it," she said. "The challenges, they're not insurmountable – but they're really big, and they're scary."