Students on probation may face problems applying to go abroad

Although nearly half of the junior class at Tufts opts to take a respite from the Hill to study abroad, those with disciplinary issues typically have to think otherwise.

Students who are not in "good standing" with the university - those who have been placed on Disciplinary Probation Level II or Academic Probation Level II - are not given the option to obtain Tufts credit from abroad programs.

The rule is an example of a greater trend regarding disciplinary consequences at Tufts: Students faced with such disciplinary action during their college years will often be faced with harsh repercussions while they remain on the Hill. This contrasts with the period following graduation, when consequences will often depend on the discretion of employers or admissions offices for graduate programs.

The university's disciplinary policies are constructed using a tiered system in which there are two types of probation: academic and disciplinary. Academic probation, which has three levels, will be noted on a transcript for the four years of college at level II and will be permanently noted at level III.

Disciplinary Probation, which exists on two levels, will remain noted on a student's transcript for a period of four years following an infraction that places a student on level II.

Probation status can affect students in a variety of ways, one of the most significant being its potential to prohibit students from studying abroad.

"Students participating in Tufts' programs abroad must be in good academic and disciplinary standing, meaning that they are not on Academic Probation Level III or higher, or Disciplinary Probation Level II or higher," said Sheila Bayne, director of Tufts programs abroad.

And should a student wish to study abroad through a non-Tufts program while on such a level of probation, Tufts would not grant academic credit for courses taken while abroad.

"We typically allow students to apply and go on non-Tufts programs if they are in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university," said Sally O'Leary, foreign study advisor for non-Tufts programs abroad. "However, if a student were on Disciplinary Probation II, they would have to come off of that prior to studying abroad."

Occasionally, students who are faced with academic or disciplinary offenses that prevent them from going abroad will instead choose to take a personal leave of absence from the university.

"Sometimes, when students take a personal leave of absence, they will participate in a program during that time, like the National Outdoor Leadership School," Bayne said. "However, we wouldn't be able to transfer any credit during the time that their probation is effective."

Some students feel that such restrictions are unnecessarily harsh and do not reflect Tufts' usual disciplinary standards.

"I don't really agree with the restrictions in terms of study abroad - it just doesn't seem like the punishment fits the crime, especially when Tufts puts such an emphasis on internationalism and studying abroad," sophomore Keith Hinton said.

Junior Eren Bucak has similar sentiments.

"I don't think it's fair that students on [Disciplinary] Probation II wouldn't be allowed to go abroad," Bucak said. "I would understand that if a student was put on probation one semester, that a fair punishment would be to prohibit them from studying abroad the following semester; however, I don't think it should mean that they're never allowed to study abroad."

Although academic or disciplinary probation can have serious, clear-cut consequences during a student's undergraduate experience, its consequences after graduation can be more ambiguous. Regardless of the transcript notation, many large-scale employers only give applicants a chance to indicate and explain criminal charges, rather than university infractions, on applications.

The Peace Corps application, for example, has a section with questions regarding government-issued probation, as well as previously committed felonies. Although the application also requires university transcripts, there are no questions specifically pertaining to an applicant's disciplinary and/or academic record in college.

Jean Papalia, the director of Career Services, explained that students who have faced university action rarely vocalize concerns about the detriment a marred record would bring to the post-graduation job application process.

"In fact, in my 10 years at Tufts, I have only encountered one student who asked for coaching on how to deal with his previous disciplinary probation during an interview," Paplia said in an e-mail.

Students interviewed felt it was fair - and necessary - for employers to be aware of college disciplinary records.

"Generally speaking, the school gives you a fair amount of chances before putting you in [Disciplinary] Probation II," Hinton said. "So if you actually commit an infraction serious enough to put you on Probation II, I almost think it is an employer's right to know that you're at that level."

Sophomore Sigrid Fostvedt agreed.

"I think an employer has a right to know if a student has been in trouble, but they should also give the student a chance to explain themselves," she said.