TV Review | 'Oprah's Big Give' hits the primetime airwaves

As of late, Oprah Winfrey has been all about the money. Working for over 20 years on what is possibly the highest-rated talk show in television history, she has earned both street cred as a compassionate host and over $2.5 billion dollars. "The Oprah Winfrey Show" pushed the envelope by having a black woman (in a field dominated by white males) address racy topics like homosexuality, AIDS and rape on daytime television.

With her new show, "Oprah's Big Give" (ABC Sundays, 9 p.m.), Winfrey is trying to be as daring and philanthropic as she can be within the new limits of reality television. Though other real-life drama shows like "Extreme Home Makeover" and "Supernanny" promise the audience a feel-good experience, this show keeps the tear-jerker moments while providing a behind-the-scenes look at the difficulty of raising money for those who really need it.

This show has 10 contestants chosen for their particular places in life, from the 40-year-old woman in the midst of a midlife crisis to the Internet start-up billionaire to the high-school cheerleader paralyzed in a drunk-driving accident. In what appears to be an airport hanger in L.A., Winfrey uses her trademark exuberance to pump up the grinning contenders and then divide them into pairs by their specific charity case.

Here's the first twist to the show: Each week, the teams only receive a photograph and a clue. Their first task is to locate the person or family they are expected to help. Then, using the most creative means possible, they must collect the necessary funds and, within one week, plan and execute a "Big Reveal" that both surprises the charity case and impresses the judges.

The "reality" aspect of this show is evident within the judging. The panel of judges includes great minds such as NFL star Tony Gonzalez and Malaak Compton-Rock, the wife of Chris Rock. The panel even has the Simon-esque British judge, the moderately tactless Jamie Oliver (also known as the "Naked Chef"). The pairs are critiqued on everything from strategy to emotion. Pulling the community together was a plus, while a connection with the family earned a gold star. It is impossible to escape the irony of a show based on helping people that also has the ability to berate a contestant on national television for not giving enough.

One strange thing about the setup of "The Big Give" is the lack of Winfrey. She quickly hands the job of host to Nate Berkus, the resident interior decorator of her talk show and magazine. What is important is that her name is on the show, and that alone might be one of the motivating forces for the giving.

For example, Karl, a wounded soldier facing monetary problems upon his return from active duty, was given $25,000 from The Bridgestone Corporation to use to pay for his new home and support his family. The company must have been more than happy to have their name on primetime air, as unlike a commercial, this is an opportunity to appear generous to the public. It's like moral product placement. And while charity should be motivated by a desire to help, it's still a good deal for both sides.

However, it sees that the bulk of the charitable funds are raised from frantic cell-phone calls placed in hotel rooms. How long the show can last on 10-minute conversations and how many large corporations will continue to donate money by the $10,000s remains to be seen. Overall, the show is well edited, with slow-motion close-ups and an emotional soundtrack (think inspirational power ballads) that keep the show moving and the tissue box close.

For a final surprise, after all the dust clears, Oprah will once again descend from the sky to reward the "biggest giver" with a cool $1 million dollars. As the competition becomes fiercer, the show might become more focused on teammate interactions, as working in partners has traditionally been a great way to provoke the most catty behavior human kind has to offer to the camera. Hopefully, "Oprah's Big Give" will prove to be no exception.