Vet School scholarship honors late alumnus

The Kenneth C. Morris (V '85) Memorial Scholarship was awarded to its first beneficiary this past year after being established in 2005 by alumni from the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.

Kenneth Morris passed away in 2004. Members of his graduating class established the scholarship as a way to honor his memory.

Veterinarians from the Class of 1985, including David Garlick, Robert and Margaret Connelly and Lisa Maue, helped spearhead the organization of the fund.

While most donors are from the Class of 1985, the scholarship has appeal for alumni from other years as well. More than 50 people have contributed to the endowment.

"The classes then were very tight and very close," Jonathan Burton, assistant director of stewardship and development at the Cummings School, told the Daily.

"We thought it'd be a wonderful idea to do something in [Morris'] memory," said Garlick. The alumni conceived the idea at their twentieth class reunion.

Morris was a beloved member of the 1985 class. "He was a special individual," Garlick said.

"Ken Morris was a real leader and uniter," Burton added.

Administrators said they were pleased about the establishment of the permanent endowment. "It's the first time they've set up an endowed scholarship for student support," Burton said. The money will renew itself every year, as it is provided with interest on invested funds.

Garlick is similarly satisfied with the memorial scholarship. "It takes a certain funding level to be able to award the scholarship. We were able to generate enough donations and funds in two years, and that's very rewarding."

While the scholarship itself was founded in 2005, this is the first year the endowment has reached the level where the scholarship could be awarded to a beneficiary.

The scholarship is need-based, said Cummings School Assistant Dean of Student Affairs Barbara Berman. "We wanted to establish a scholarship not with just financial need as a criteria but someone who's a uniter like Ken was," Burton said.

The endowment also gives special preference to students from southeastern Massachusetts, where Morris' hometown is located.

Jaclyn Morency, the first beneficiary of the scholarship, hails from southeastern Massachusetts.

"It means a lot to me that it's about being from the south coast of Massachusetts, because I really love where I grew up," she said. "I'd also like to eventually practice in that area some day, so it's special to me."

A luncheon last month brought together Morency, the Morris family and the scholarship organizers. "They're very pleased with the selection of Jaclyn," Burton said of the Morris family.

Morency was also excited about the event.

"Michelle Morris and her daughter were the sweetest people I've ever met," she said.

"They showed me some really great photos of Kenneth, and it made me realize that the scholarship was more than just free money, that there was a real person behind it."

Morency will use her scholarship funds to help pay for her tuition.