Cat Power's latest 'Jukebox' lacks luster

With mash-up masters like Girl Talk and Kanye West in the spotlight of today's music world, it might appear that the singer-songwriter (?  la Bob Dylan) is a thing of the past.

Chan (pronounced "Shawn") Marshall, better known by her stage name Cat Power, would likely take issue with that statement. On "Jukebox," her latest full-length collection of covers and originals, she puts her personal spin on a wide variety of tracks. If nothing else, the woman knows how to update a song for the modern listener's pleasure.

Born Charlyn Marshall on Jan. 21, 1972, the 36-year-old singer has accomplished a tremendous amount in a short amount of time. "Jukebox" is her eighth record, and follows her well-received album of original songs, "The Greatest" (2006), which includes the night-owl ballad "Lived in Bars."

Unfortunately, Marshall cancelled the tour for that record following a mental breakdown, which was only exacerbated by alcohol-related issues. She's bounced back with "Jukebox," but hasn't landed very far forward of where she was with her last album.

While showcasing Marshall's hauntingly pained and mature vocals, "Jukebox" fails as a solid step forward in her career due to a lack of soulful anthems and the inconsistent quality of its tracks.

In the early 1990s, Marshall moved to New York City, and soon enough, the jazz and experimental music scenes began to exert their influence over her. She released her first album, "Dear Sir," in 1995, and has come a long way since then. "The Covers Record" (2000) won her success for her guitar-and-piano-only take on such classics as the Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." Few other artists could get away with entirely skipping over the famed chorus and demanding only, "Baby, Baby, Baby come back/ Can't you see I'm on a losing streak?"

While "The Greatest" was a definite winner, "Jukebox" falls disappointingly short of the mark. In some ways, it is the follow-up to "The Covers Record," but it doesn't strike the right chords for those who want to see more of Cat Power doing what she does best. That is, where the former comprises declare-your-love-from-a-mountaintop covers, such as that of the Velvet Underground's "I Found a Reason," the latter has nothing truly comparable.

But, no one likes a Negative Nancy, and there are certainly reasons to like the record - to begin with, the throaty "Lost Someone." By way of spine-tingling high notes, a teasingly slow tempo and a mix of Hawaiian luau and folksy blues, the song grows on you as it builds upon itself.

Climaxing in a roiling, low blend of guitar, bass drum and Marshall's trembling admission, "Come on home to me/ I'm so weak," the track leaves listeners weak in the knees. This is the Cat Power her listeners have grown to love, and it is only unfortunate that more of that side of her doesn't shine through on "Jukebox."

In contrast, "Song to Bobby" is another original song that exemplifies "Jukebox's" general mediocrity. It is pretty, yes, but at the same time it constitutes a meandering that frustrates in its aimlessness. "I was fifteen, sixteen maybe/ in the park, I was waving my arms," sings Marshall. Focusing too much on the past might be just what's holding her back.

Between the conservative singing and the unfocused piano, there's nothing that grabs the listener. The song drops off, leaving us unconvinced, like a bad make-out session.

"Silver Stallion" is of a higher quality. The twanging and sliding guitar sounds, combined with that unmistakable, husky voice, make this one of the album's better tracks.

It is a song whose quiet strength comes mainly from Marshall's velvety vocals. Simple and minimalist but powerful nonetheless, "Silver Stallion" recalls Iron and Wine with its indie rock and folk influences. When Marshall tells us, "I'm gonna find me a reckless man/ razor blades and dice in his eyes," we're reminded of her potential as a potent musician.

Cat Power is coming to Boston on Feb. 7 to grace the Orpheum Theater with her folksy throaty voice and moonshine skin. After that, she will be doing a quick sweep of the country, making her way to Los Angeles before heading across the pond to Australia.

Though it's clear that whiskey and beer aren't holding back this sultry songstress any longer, it might be that her hesitation to truly push herself could. "I'm queen of the crowd," she asserts on "Jukebox's" opening track, a cover of Frank Sinatra's "New York."

Whether she makes good on that claim or not, Cat Power does as Cat Power wants, and that's the truth.