New pop-punk album lacks sufficient forward 'motion,' but delights loyal fans

Motion City Soundtrack released their third album, "Even If It Kills Me," last Tuesday to millions of screaming alterna-power-punk-pop fans across the globe. This album follows the 2005 success, "Commit This to Memory," and the band's debut, "I Am the Movie" (2002).

The five-piece band from Minneapolis has been working on the album for over a year and finished its general recording and mixing this past spring. The band's last album boasted production by Mark Hoppus of +44 and Blink-182, and their new album has major production involvement from Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne and Eli Janney of Girls Against Boys. Guest vocals on the album include Max Bemis from Say Anything.

The album has many of the same components that were present on "Commit," including an array of song types. Ballads, love songs, break-up songs and super-fast dance songs leave something for every type of fan. The first single, "Broken Heart" was released in June to iTunes users. This track gave a backward glimpse into the same Motion City people had come to love, with high-pitched vocals and squealing techno synth beats. It was the perfect song to promote the album.

At this point, hardcore fans jumped for joy and settled down to wait to hear the rest of the album and decide whether or not they would drop the cash to hold a copy. They didn't have to wait long though, as the album was leaked onto the Internet a full week before it was released.

The album starts with an orchestral introduction that slowly fades out to the sounds of "I Fell in Love Without You." The lyrics and harmonies consume the listener as the beat constantly drives forward until a guitar solo and key change - so far, nothing atypical of the band we have come to love.

Songs like "This is For Real," and "Last Night" are just calling to be criticized by people who have a problem with songs containing lyrics like "I've got emotion dripping out my pores" and "I waved goodbye to that heart of mine/ Beating solo on your lawn." Most of the tracks on the album are truly meaningful and show real emotion. Others, however, have wacky lyrical symbolism that is hard to decipher.

The lyrics are unfortunate, and even though the album has its own special touch, it does not provide any unique material. Fans of "My Favorite Accident," will find equal pleasure in "Can't Finish What You Started." On the other hand, those who enjoy slow love songs like "Hold Me Down," will find "The Conversation" appealing. The only exception is the title track, which does not feel like it fits with the other material on the record.

The band will embark on a headlining tour this fall with supporting acts Mae, Anberlin and Metro Station. Tufts fans can see them at the Palladium in Worcester Nov. 11.

If you can't make it out to the concert, the band released a music video for "Broken," but unfortunately, the members make no appearance. The short begins with a man being dumped who proceeds to literally rip out his heart and throw it on the ground. The heart then magically grows legs, arms, a head and logic and takes itself to a bar on a journey of self-medication. There is no need to ruin the ending in this review, so suffice it to say that there is a twist and that everything miraculously turns out all right.

Why doesn't Motion City Soundtrack head in a different direction and explore what other musical abilities they may have? It may be because the formula sells - and sells well among certain demographics.

Even though MCS went conservative and stuck to the roots of their musical past for this album, they will continue to enjoy success and a loyal fan base.

This album provides fans with the music they love, but may lead casual listeners away from the somewhat trite product.