Tired Tuftonians to test talent at 24-Hour Theatre Festival

Beginning tonight, groups of students will compete in the theatrical equivalent of a marathon. These thespians' creative powers, acting stamina and ability to work well with others will all be put to the test in Bare Bodkin's annual 24-Hour Theatre Festival.

Starting at 8 p.m., students will be randomly assigned to a group and have a mere 24 hours to write, rehearse and perform an original play. But of course, there are a few rules.

Each group must begin its play with the same line, which is chosen at random from a pool of sentences suggested by the contestants. The plays must run the length of the average sitcom, or 22 minutes. Finally, each show must comply with a rule that changes annually; for instance, past rules have compelled students to include elements like a musical number or a silent character in their productions.

Students who participate in the competition are often up all night developing plots and memorizing lines. As a result, past plays performed in the festival have been unexpectedly detailed. And despite beginning with the same line, they are always vastly different.

Although 24-Hour has traditionally been a semi-annual event, this weekend's festival will be the first since Fall 2006.

"Because of various conflicts last semester, we weren't able to get enough participants," explained Bodkin Executive Director and senior Elizabeth Harelik.

However, Harelik predicts this year's festival will be very different. "We have a very large number of people signed up," Harelik said. "And we are expecting a big audience. We think it's going to be a great semester for 24-Hour Theatre."

Students who wish to participate in the festival can sign up in Aidekman Arts Center until 5 p.m. today.

-compiled by Naomi Bryant