Islam and The Primary Source

This past week, a number of students contacted me to express outrage over an article entitled, "Islam - Arabic Translation: Submission," published in the most recent issue of The Primary Source. The article consists of a number of quotations from the Quran together with a few citations to other sources implying that Islam is a religion that is both intolerant and violent. It closes with the statement, "If you are a peaceful Muslim who can explain or justify this astonishingly intolerant and inhuman behavior, we'd really like to hear from you!"

Aside from the irony of The Primary Source lecturing others on tolerance, the article offends not because the quotations are inaccurate, but rather, because they are taken completely out of historical context. Both the Jewish and the Christian Bible are replete with references that are equally offensive when viewed through contemporary eyes. For example, in just a few paragraphs in Exodus, fathers are implicitly given authority to sell their minor daughters into slavery, capital punishment is mandated for kidnapping and the penalty prescribed for children who rebel against their parents is death. Later in Numbers, violators of the Sabbath are to be stoned to death. Pretty strong stuff.

No one is suggesting that practicing Christians or Jews should defend such scripture, yet the Source implies that Muslims must do so for comparable teachings in the Quran. In practice, mainstream religious traditions regularly modify their understanding of scriptural text, filtering it through the interpretations of later scholars.

History tells us that many have died in the name of religion. The Crusades are but one example. There are many others. My point is that none of the religions of Abraham has a monopoly on either virtue or non-violence. All could be called to task to defend actions taken in the name of God.

What is particularly troubling about the Source article is that yet again a discrete minority within our community has been singled out for ridicule. And once again, the article is unsigned. No one seems willing to take personal responsibility for this particular expression of opinion.

So what should be our community response? As was the case with the Source's offensive parody "O Come All Ye Black Folk," some have called for censure or more. I disagree. The First Amendment protects freedom of speech and that includes most offensive speech. That said, I think there are other things people can do who are upset by this article or by articles yet to come.

First, the last time I checked, the Source was not on any required reading list. One can ignore it. Second, people can respond by publishing articles (or letters to the editor) indicating that offensive views expressed in campus publications do not represent their community. I have tried to model such a response in this article. Third, students can hold their fellow students accountable. How to do so? By confronting the editors who publish such opinions and asking them to defend their opinions directly and personally.

When community standards of civility and respect are violated, we should not ask those who have been unfairly attacked to respond on behalf of the community. This responsibility should be borne by all.

My late mother used to say, "Paper hath patience." In this day of the Internet, our words have an almost infinite life. Because of Google, they will follow us around forever. A recent story from the Washington Post (April 3, 2007) sharply illustrates this point.

Kiwi Camara, currently a visiting scholar at Northwestern University School of Law, was on track to be appointed an Assistant Professor of Law at George Mason University. While the appointment was under consideration, a group of students Googled Camara. They found reference to a racially offensive comment he made in a posting about a Supreme Court decision while a first year law student at Harvard Law School. After learning about the offensive language, the school withdrew the appointment. Camara is still trying to explain this posting as a youthful indiscretion.

Campus authors and editors, take note.

Lawrence S. Bacow is the president of Tufts University.