Kings of Leon are saintly sinners

If three of the four members of Kings of Leon are sons of a Pentecostal minister (and the fourth a nephew), so be it. But this doesn't change the truth that there is distinct possibility that, by traditional standards, they will all be going straight to hell.

"Because of the Times"' main topic of interest is women, and like Adam was convinced to eat the forbidden fruit by Eve, Kings of Leon likewise submit to the temptation of the female sex. The only difference is that it seems they enjoy the fall, for this whole album is somewhat an invocation of not-so-pure muses.

"Because of the Times" is laden with sin, a topic that the Followill brothers (and cousin) are greatly learned in due to spending most of their youth driving around in their father's purple 1988 Oldsmobile while he made his living preaching. Although Nathan and Caleb Followill began by pursuing country music, the choice to transition to Southern rock was a good one.

This album shows how far Kings of Leon have come. Instead of taking the cheap, '80s-influenced route of many popular indie rock bands, the Followills' put their soul into the making of "Times," creating a grit-infused rock album that evokes a passionate picture of southern life. Its soulful '70s rock sound will reaffirm devotion from long time fans and convert new ones, and it seems that soon enough Kings of Leon will not be opening up for timeless acts such as Bob Dylan and U2 in packed stadiums, but headlining the band's own shows in these same venues.

The 13 tracks allow for the band to show different sides to their sound, which will surely be going places. "Because of the Times" leaves space for each band member to explore his personal boundaries, but it is the singer Caleb that converts a listener to a fan. His fervent moans and screams are irresistible - vocalizations that seem like they could exorcise with their devotional prowess.

This new album proves Kings of Leon's growing maturity. "Because of the Times" has pristine sound quality and incredible production that was absent on the last two full-length albums released, "Youth and Young Manhood" in 2003 and "Aha Shake Heartbreak" in 2005. Purely by opening with a seven minute song, the band proclaims their self-assurance and willingness to take their sound in new directions. Impressively, they are able to do it without seeming pretentious and without leaving the listener disillusioned.

The guitar work has clearly improved, with solos executed deftly and putting a new twist on the '70s sleeze that they live to embody. But the band does not stop with the likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd. They go on to evoke a sound reminiscent of reggae-influenced Police tracks on "Ragoo" and almost trick the listener into thinking that Frank Black from the Pixies is adding his possessed screams to "Charmer," until we are reassured by Caleb's following throaty vocalizations. "The Runner" seems to carry the audience back to familiar Sundays at church, when other Followills join in for a soulful chorus.

"Because of the Times" emphasizes that the footprint left by Kings of Leon will not be consigned to oblivion with the tumbleweeds of Tennessee; instead, this album will act to solidify this well-established garage rock quartet's sinful existence.