Theater Review | Without a 'Doubt', this play makes you think

The lives of most college students are filled with doubt. There's doubt about small things, like pulling an A on a chemistry final after sleeping through the last eight lectures. There's doubt about worldwide stuff, the big things. There's doubt about personal issues, like the sanctity of parents or the fidelity of a significant other. There's doubt about oneself, when we question our beliefs and convictions. No matter the form it takes, this emotion can be profoundly disconcerting.

In his award-winning play, running until Feb. 18 at the Colonial Theater, playwright John Patrick Shanley explores doubt and its social consequences. Set in 1964, "Doubt" takes place in a Bronx Catholic school run by the stern and inflexible Sister Aloysius (Cherry Jones), who is every bit the quintessential nun. She is assisted by the young and enthusiastic Sister James (Lisa Joyce), who teaches eighth grade.

The play beings on a telling note as Sister James has been called into Sister Aloysius' office. Sister Aloysius begins the conversation by inquiring about several of Sister James' students.

Sister James is intimidated by Aloysius' sheer willpower, which has enabled her to overcome a physical disability. When she begins to critique James' teaching style, claiming she is too passionate about history, the younger sister puts up no resistance. The criticism deeply affects her as she begins to cry and moves to leave.

Before Sister James can exit, Sister Aloysius calls her back. She proceeds to uncover the real reason she called Sister James to her office, a reason that will be the focus of the rest of the play. As it turns out, Sister Aloysius suspects a priest involved with the school of having an immoral relationship with Donald, one of Sister James' students. She doubts the intentions of Father Flynn (Chris McGarry) in his one-on-one meetings with Donald, but she has proof of nothing.

Armed only with her suspicions and her doubt, Sister Aloysius proceeds to fight against Father Flynn in an effort to protect the students of her school. The hierarchy of the Catholic Church and her lack of evidence render her virtually powerless to discover the truth. She confronts Father Flynn with her misgivings, but their conversation ends in threats and shouting. She consults Donald's mother, Mrs. Muller (Caroline Stefanie Clay), in an attempt to discover supporting facts for her argument, but the woman offers no easy solution.

Although "Doubt" is set in 1964, the play's social commentary is strikingly applicable to modern times. On both a personal and a public level, people confront doubt everyday. We are taught to question, but rarely do we think to question ourselves and the principles we take for granted.

In his playwright's preface, John Patrick Shanley states, "It is Doubt (so often experienced initially as weakness) that changes things. When a man feels unsteady, when he falters, when hard-won knowledge evaporates before his eyes, he's on the verge of growth ... Doubt is nothing less than an opportunity to reenter the Present."

Returning to the present after seeing "Doubt," the audience feels slightly shaken. Attempting to apply all the messages presented overtly and implicitly in the play to one's own life is daunting, even impossible. In fact, if Doubt does have a downfall, it lies in cramming too much social commentary into two hours worth of script, potentially overwhelming the audience.

The many messages that one might draw from "Doubt" are pertinent, while still managing to avoid sounding like a heavy-handed sermon. They are subtle and enveloped in a witty script wrought with humor. The acting is superb, especially the incredibly believable Cherry Jones.

Her voice is perfect, her tiniest motion convincing. The performance by Chris McGarry is just as commendable, making us desperately want his character to be one of the good guys, but then making us doubt and then doubt our reasons for doubting in the first place.

Seeing "Doubt" isn't necessarily a life changing experience. It doesn't reveal a single, clear, mind-blowing truth - but that would be impossible. The show is thought-inspiring and leaves its viewers with questions. It inspires doubt, fosters growth and wins over the audience.