Keeping a blog, changing the world

For senior Liz Thys, who spent her summer working at the Foundation for Ecological Security (FES) in Udaipur, India, cameras weren't the only way of capturing the experience; Thys and the other FES interns kept their own blogs.

At http://liz-in-india.blogspot.com, Thys recorded her summer experience. On her Web site, one can also read Thys' winning grant application to build a 50,000-liter rainwater harvesting system designed to provide Udaipur's residents with water during dry summer months.

"One of the interns thought we could all write blogs," Thys said, explaining where the idea came from. Thys used the blog as a way to update her friends and family on what she was doing.

Internet access, however, was sporadic; The office where Thys worked only had one computer equipped to go online, so Thys usually had to resort to an internet caf?©. Before the monsoon season began in late July, power cuts were frequent. "It started just two hours in the morning - from 9 to 11 - and then it went from 8 to 11," Thys said.

On her blog, Thys posted pictures she took and recounted her experiences. From getting sick when she first arrived to winning a traditional Indian costume party after her host family outfitted her with a sari, her entire experience is available to read.

- Anne Fricker