Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Inside the AL | A's might make the grade with lineup overhaul and potent pitching

So far most of the talk in the American League this offseason has focused on the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. What else is new? The world champion Chicago White Sox made big news with their acquisitions of Jim Thome and Javier Vazquez. But one team has flown under the radar thus far, and yet it may be the best of the bunch: the Oakland Athletics.

The A's won 88 games last season despite being plagued by injuries. This year, they have re-stocked and look like the early favorites to claim the American League West, if not the World Series.

Last year, Oakland's offense held them back from winning their division. But this year, the A's acquired problem child Milton Bradley from the Los Angeles Dodgers to take over in right field. Bradley has his drawbacks (i.e. profanity-laced tantrums), but he's only 28 and his bat will be a big improvement. He put up a .834 OPS in cavernous Dodger Stadium last season despite battling injuries. If he keeps his head on straight (he underwent anger management counseling this offseason), Bradley should be a significant upgrade.

At first base, instead of "pickin' machine" Scott Hatteberg and his dreadful .677 OPS, Oakland will likely start Dan Johnson. Last year, 25-year-old Johnson slugged 15 home runs in 375 at-bats and posted a .806 OPS. A full season from Johnson in place of Hatteberg will add at least a few more wins in 2006.

The A's also gambled a bit and signed designated hitter Frank Thomas to a one-year, incentive-laden contract. Thomas is still battling ankle problems, but when he's healthy, he smashes. Even without Thomas, Oakland's lineup is far superior to the 2005 version, but with a healthy Thomas, the A's could do some serious damage.

The biggest thing holding back the 2005 A's was the injury bug, and if they can get full seasons from ace Rich Harden and shortstop Bobby Crosby, they could very well be the best team in baseball. Last season, Crosby provided a .802 OPS while flashing excellent defense, but he was held to just 333 at-bats due to broken ribs and a broken ankle. A healthy Crosby could be one of the leading candidates in the American League for a breakout season.

On the pitching side, if Harden is healthy, he is probably the favorite for the Cy Young in 2006. Just 24 years old, Harden pitched his way to a 2.53 ERA in 19 starts last season, but suffered from shoulder problems. Harden's stuff is among the best in the game, and all indications are that he is healthy going into 2006.

Harden anchors a pitching staff that is among the most well-balanced in the game. The A's have a former Cy Young winner in Barry Zito at the number two spot, and Danny Haren had a very solid first season with Oakland in 2005 (3.73 ERA), despite being just 25. Another 25-year-old, Joe Blanton, put up an impressive 3.53 ERA. Blanton isn't quite as overpowering as Haren, but he is still a horse who should make a nice fourth or fifth starter.

The bullpen is a source of strength as well. Rookie of the Year flamethrower Huston Street established himself as a top-notch closer in short order last season. Justin Duchscherer was an All-Star in 2005, while Kiko Calero and Jay Witasick are both very solid relievers. Juan Cruz has always shown flashes of brilliance, but he was unable to deliver last season without the help of former Atlanta Braves Pitching Coach Leo Mazzone (a sentence that can describe many, many pitchers). But there's always a chance Cruz can turn into a top-notch setup man.

A few years ago, Oakland's focus quietly moved from finding players with high on-base percentage to searching for inefficiencies in the defensive market. Now they have built one of the best defensive clubs in baseball. Mark Ellis is a phenomenal second baseman, and his bat won't hurt the lineup either. Mark Kotsay is among the best in the game at centerfield, and the same goes for Eric Chavez at third base (who suffered a down year in 2005, but is still just 28 years old and a perennial all-star candidate).

The only real question for the Oakland A's heading into 2006 is whether they can stay healthy. On paper they have perhaps the best pitching and defense in baseball, and their lineup should be much improved from 2005. If key players can avoid the disabled list, they are virtually assured of winning the American League West and they could certainly go even further than that. How far? As Oakland General Manager Billy Beane will be the first to tell you: it's impossible to say - the playoffs are a crap shoot.