Andrew Bauld | You Can't Steal First

While the tykes of the East and West lit up the court in Houston at the NBA All-Star Game and fresh-faced Jimmie Johnson sped to victory at the Daytona 500, another, albeit older, champion emerged - and he's old enough to be their father.

On Sunday, John McEnroe, the former (and apparently future) king of tennis, won the men's doubles title at the SAP Open in San Jose, California at the age of 47. Along with partner Jonas Bjorkman, McEnroe defeated the American team of Paul Goldstein and Jim Thomas 7-6(2), 4-6, 10-7 to win his 78th ATP title.

The last time McEnroe claimed a title on the circuit was in 1992, winning a doubles tournament with his brother Patrick. Despite an absence of verbal outbursts and court antics, an older and wiser Big Bad John showed no signs of losing his step on the court, or the brashness which characterized his more youthful days.

After the match, he told reporters, "I'm surprised that it went to the final tiebreaker, but the right team won."

What a long and strange ride it has been for Johnny Mac, who dominated the tennis scene during the early 1980's with his tenacity, speed, fiery court presence, and crafty play.

The wily lefty captured 17 Grand Slam singles and doubles titles, and many considered him to have the potential to be one of the best players in tennis history if he could have controlled his volatile temper.

Now, almost 14 years later, he's back.

Is this the start of a brilliant twilight career for McEnroe? Although he claims to have only entered the tournament to bring attention to a struggling tennis doubles scene, this could be the start of a great new trend. Heck, if they could get Jimmy Connors out of retirement, we could have a rematch of the classic five-set 1982 Wimbledon final between the two.

But Johnny's got to be careful. There's nothing more tragic than an aged superstar that doesn't know when to quit (see: Michael Jordan). But the glory of going off into the sunset with that one last victory is enticing (see: Pete Sampras).

This is an odd case, though. McEnroe has nothing to prove and really nothing to lose. His victory on Sunday was unexpected, and if it is his last it won't come as a big surprise. But any tennis that involves McEnroe is good tennis, in my opinion, and the reemergence of one of the sport's greatest stars is a welcome sight. And trust me, if McEnroe stays on the court long enough, we're bound to get some broken racquets and cries of "You cannot be serious!" No matter what your age, that never gets old.

McEnroe isn't the only athlete to fend off the retirement home for one more year and prove that you're only as young as you feel. American Olympic curler Scott Baird became the most senior Winter Olympic athlete in the Games' history at the ripe old age of 53. Although an alternate on the team, it's still quite a feat.

While 37-year-old Sammy Sosa ponders retirement, Roger Clemens, who turns 44 this August, and David Wells and Randy Johnson, who both turn 43 this season, will head back to the mound to continue doing what they do best.

And back in the tennis universe, Andre Agassi turns 36 this year. Although he has yet to play a match in 2006 due to injuries, he still remains a threat to any of the young guns on the tour.

Sadly, however, age catches up with us all, and on Monday, the legendary sports broadcaster Curt Gowdy died at the age of 86 after a lengthy struggle with leukemia. Fans may know of Gowdy's renown from his coverage of dozens of Super Bowls, World Series and Olympic Games, among the other major events the legendary Hall of Fame sportscaster covered during an illustrious career that spanned over half a century.

But for those of us with parents or grandparents who grew up in the New England region, Curt Gowdy will forever be remembered as the Voice of the Red Sox. Gowdy covered the Old Town Team from 1951-1965, and his warm voice and personal, story-telling commentary became a signature of the Sox. Gowdy became as legendary to fans as many of the day's greatest players, and in fact he was a close friend with the famed Boston slugger, Ted Williams.

So, while the fading days of winter give rise to spring, let us give a tip of the cap to those venerable athletes who continue to make the rest of us feel lazy even at half their age. But please, don't get any ideas, M.J.