Get your motor running | Too much of a good thing?

We are continually bombarded with the message that exercise is beneficial. A moderate amount of activity has been shown to do everything from lower our risk of heart disease to improve our dating life. As Martha Stewart would say, "Exercise - it's a good thing!"

But is there ever a time when exercise is not good for you? The answer, surprisingly, is yes: when you do too much.

Too much, you ask? It doesn't seem to make sense: If some exercise is good for you, shouldn't a lot be better?

Not always. In order to reap all of the benefits of exercise, your body needs time to rest. It is during your rest periods that your muscles are able to replenish themselves and prepare for your next big workout.

When you don't allow enough time for rest, your body does its best to let you know. Your muscles may feel sore, you may feel sleepier than usual or you might have an overall feeling of fatigue.

Whether you are preparing for a big event like a marathon or are simply on a quest for better-looking legs, ignoring your body's cues to rest can be detrimental to your training. In the short term, you put yourself at risk for injury. But if this behavior becomes chronic, you risk developing a condition that is much more serious.

OVERTRAINING SYNDROME

The American Council on Exercise (ACE) warns that if you find yourself feeling "more exhausted than energized" from exercise, you could be suffering from an acute case of overtraining syndrome (OS).

Overtraining syndrome can affect you both physically and emotionally. You may find yourself getting sick on a regular basis, you may not be able to lift as much as usual in the gym or you might feel irritable and depressed. All of these things can be manifestations of OS.

ACE offers a complete list of the signs of overtraining syndrome. Physical signs include "decreased performance, loss of coordination, prolonged recovery, elevated morning heart rate, headaches, loss of appetite, muscle soreness/tenderness, gastrointestinal disturbances and decreased ability to ward off infection."

Emotional signs include irritability, depression, apathy, trouble concentrating, lowered self-esteem and emotional sensitivity.

Overtraining syndrome is common. An article in the January 2006 edition of the American College of Sports Medicine newsletter reported that 30 to 50 percent of all pediatric sports injuries were due to overtraining.

And even the best athletes are not immune. According to a recent study by Gould et al., 10 percent of 1998 Winter Olympians cited overtraining as a significant reason for their diminished performance.

EXERCISE ADDICTION

The most extreme cases of overtraining are often classified as "exercise addiction." Like eating disorders, exercise addiction is recognized to be a legitimate problem with emotional or psychological issues at its root.

Exercise addiction is much more than the desire to attend your favorite step class on a regular basis. People who are addicted to exercise will sacrifice their friends, their studies, and even their health in order to fit in a workout.

According to ACE, exercising beyond the point of exhaustion, while injured or to the exclusion of all other aspects of one's life, are signs of an exercise addiction.

Common behaviors of someone suffering from exercise addiction (courtesy of the Acadia University Student Counseling Program) may include "forcing a workout even when ill, suffering from feelings of extreme guilt for missing a workout, calculating how much exercise must be done to burn off all of the calories that were consumed in one day, [and] feeling that exercise is more important than spending time with friends and family."

In a society where we applaud people's dedication, commitment, and ability to lose weight, it can be difficult to determine whether or not you or someone you know suffers from overtraining syndrome or exercise addiction.

In order to protect yourself, familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of overtraining syndrome and exercise addiction, and learn to listen to the messages your body is sending you.

Mary Kennedy is a graduate student in nutrition communication at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy. She has a BS in clinical exercise physiology from Boston University and is certified as a health and fitness instructor through the American College of Sports Medicine.