Where you read it first | Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Sophomore chosen as finalist in Boston Globe's Big Gig contest

Winning the "dream" internship would be many students' fantasy - and sophomore Sari Haime is in the running.

Haime, an international relations major and entrepreneurial leadership minor, has been chosen as a finalist in the Boston Globe's BostonWorks Big Gig contest.

The contest gives students the chance to get the hands-on experience "you need to get the job of your dreams," according to the BostonWorks Web site.

The different companies included in the contest are the financial services provider the Bulfinch Group, Sonesta Hotels, Fox Sports Network New England and the software company Solid Works.

The individual companies, along with BostonWorks, have chosen five finalists for each internship.

Each week until Feb. 26, the public can vote online to determine which of the five finalists will be the winner of that week's Big Gig.

Voting closes at noon each Friday, and the finalist who receives the most votes will be identified as the winner on BostonWorks.com at about 5 p.m.

Haime, a native of Bogota, Colombia, has been chosen as a finalist for an internship in Sonesta Hotels' marketing division.

"I have already interned at the Boston Fairmont Copley Plaza Executive offices and am interested in the hotel business, especially the marketing aspect," Haime said.

There will be a spread featuring Haime and her fellow contestants in the Boston Globe this Sunday.