Where you read it first | Sunday, October 20, 2024

Balance | Special Feature: Detox diets might be fashionable, but they aren't nutritious

Detox diets are gaining widespread recognition and support these days. But just like many other fads - think Atkins, cabbage soup, and grapefruit diets - the science behind "detox" is lacking.

De-tox-i-fy: To counteract or destroy the toxic properties of; to remove the effects of poison from; to treat (an individual) for alcohol or drug dependence, usually under a medically supervised program designed to rid the body of intoxicating or addictive substances.

I'm not sure about you, but I didn't realize that my nightly dinner fit that description. In fact, last time I checked, macaroni and cheese failed to make it onto any poison list I'd seen. So what's with all the hoopla about "detoxifying"? Aren't our bodies specifically designed to manage nutrients? In a word - yes.

What is a detox diet?

Detox diets have come to mean anything from fasting to "juicing" to colon cleansing. Some are more invasive than others, and some are less natural than others. One common detox diet involves a week-long, water-only fast. Another lasts up to three weeks, starting with the restriction of all but a limited selection of fruits and vegetables and ending with a diet devoid of meat, eggs, sugar and prepackaged foods. Some detox plans promote consuming extracts, such as milk thistle, and others encourage unconventional recipes, like alfalfa, algae and barley grass smoothies. Think that sounds fun? It gets better.

Colon cleansing is often performed in conjunction with a detox diet program. While laxatives and herbal supplements are often used to facilitate this, more extreme measures include colonic irrigation (infusing a large amount of water into and out of the entire large intestine) or oxygen-based colon cleansing (ingesting a capsule that reduces solids to liquid or gas form). The "purpose" of colon cleansing is to rid the body of debris and years of compacted waste and toxins. In reality, these procedures can actually cause harm by eliminating healthy bacteria from the colon.

Why detoxify?

The theory behind detox diets centers around the belief that exposure to traditional foods and a polluted environment leave our bodies contaminated with dangerous toxins. It is necessary, advocates say, to cleanse the body of all that has accumulated from that exposure. Enthusiasts claim that detox diets result in a variety of health benefits. Increased energy, mental clarity, weight control, reduced headaches and improved skin are among the list.

Dr. Linda Price, president of Marygrove College in Detroit, Mich. is one proponent who believes her detox diet was the first step toward an overall healthier lifestyle. Price spent two-weeks detoxifying at a spa in Vermont last summer. "I had more energy, slept better and was more positive about myself. It was the beginning of a change in eating habits," she said.

Do you need to detoxify?

Personal testimonials aside, there is limited, if any, scientific evidence to support the health benefits associated with detox diets. Suggesting that they enhance the elimination of toxins from the body and provide a sense of well-being contradicts much of what we know about human physiology and biochemistry.

The liver and gastrointestinal tract do a fine job of eliminating and neutralizing toxic substances on their own. According to Dr. Peter Pressman, an internist and assistant professor at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, Calif., "There is simply no reason to believe that 'detox' diets augment the human body's capacity to eliminate or neutralize noxious metabolites or environmental poisons." Moreover, the increased energy and mental clarity that is often reported with detox diets is simply an indication of severe dieting. The aforementioned "buzz" is caused by ketosis - a state which occurs when the body breaks down fat for energy and releases chemicals called ketones. Long-term ketosis is dangerous and can lead to muscle breakdown, dehydration, and kidney problems.

"It's ridiculous," said Kristen Carnevale, a Malden, Mass.-based registered dietitian. "Your body thinks it's in starvation mode. You feel weak, you get headaches. It's unbalanced and it ravages your body."

While dietitians like Carnevale do not prescribe detox plans for those looking for a "healthy lifestyle," they also don't think they're appropriate for people who are looking to lose weight. What may appear to be an immediate weight loss is actually nothing more than water loss. Furthermore, such extreme calorie restriction actually works against struggling dieters as the body goes into "fasting" mode and the metabolism actually slows down.

Are detox diets safe?

Like many fad diets, most detox diets lack nutrients and do not provide adequate calories. The long-term negative impact of protein and calorie deprivation outweighs any benefit that one may achieve from an extremely restrictive diet.

Some of the procedures used to detoxify the body may even be dangerous. Long-term use of laxatives can lead to dependence and procedures such as colonic cleansing may introduce bacteria into the body, which could cause infection or intestinal damage.

The bottom line?

"Healthy eating is all you need to 'cleanse' your system," says Carnevale. "The best detox plan available is a diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables, high fiber foods and lots of water."

Lisa Tamborini is a registered dietician and graduate student in nutrition communication at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy. She has a BS in dietetics from the University of Connecticut.