Where you read it first | Tuesday, October 22, 2024

'Robot' mixes genre nuts and bolts

The newest CG-animated movie on the market right now has the same old theme with a different background. The protagonist is a son who goes out into the world to try and prove his self worth to his father. We've seen this in "October Sky," and "Rudy," so what takes this robot off the assembly line?

First of all, do the other movies have Robin Williams making transsexual jokes? Do the other movies have robots actually doing the "robot" dance? Do the other movies have a rendition of the birthing process complete with nuts and bolts? They certainly do not. And are you ever laughing so hard from watching that you want to pee in your pants? NO.

This movie revolves around the quest of Rodney Copperbottom (voiced by Ewan McGregor) who is trying to prove to his father that he is a real inventor and can make something for himself in the big ol' town of Robot City (could we be a little less creative with the name here?). Rodney wants to go to Bigweld industries where inventors can make a name for themselves, so he packs up his little tin case and goes off to making something of himself.

There is one problem; everyone else has the same dream. It's like going to New York and thinking you are really going to be a Broadway star. Let's be honest people, it is not going to happen unless you are Madonna.

But Rodney has a dream, and after pushing his way through and fighting against all odds, he makes it to Bigweld industries. Well, he doesn't - but wouldn't that be fun if he did? Rodney actually finds out about the sinister plan of the new boss of Robot City, in which he decides to stop manufacturing spare parts. The boss is forcing the broken robots to buy shiny new upgrade bodies, and of course no one can afford it - kind of like plastic surgery in L.A.

Our hero Rodney won't stand for this, because, after all, ugly robots should have a chance in this world, too. Rodney fights for a better world, and yes, it is sad to say, he even gives up at one point. But there is nothing like giant-bottomed Aunt Fanny (Jennifer Coolidge) to get your engines going again. Rodney rounds up his crew of robot delinquents (Robin Williams, Drew Carrey, Amanda Bynes and Harland Williams) and tries to take the down the evil villain who calls himself Ratchet (Greg Kinnear).

Can the robots do it? Do they take him down and let ugly people have a place in society once again? Of course, but the journey is the thing.

This movie makes fun of pretty much everything along the way. Nothing, or shall I say, no one, is safe from getting picked on. When Robin Williams voices a character, you can't expect anything less. As usual, the movie would not be anything without him. Williams brings the film to life and gives it a hilarious energy that you just can't help but burst out laughing to. He is able to plaster a smile on your face no matter how hard you try to resist.

With the influx of thriller movies put out recently, it is like the "Scream" era all over again. Everywhere you turn there is a poster for "The Ring Two," or "Cursed," or "The Jacket." You go and see them and come out with nightmares for the rest of your life. If you'd like to avoid paying $10 to become emotionally scarred for life, take a look at "Robots".