Women's Swimming and Diving | Team ends regular season on a light note

In its last meet of the regular season, the women's swimming and diving team put forth a strong performance on Saturday at the MIT Invitational. Though it was not a typical dual meet and races were not scored, the events did not carry any less significance, especially for those swimmers whose season ended on Saturday.

"They swam wonderfully," coach Nancy Bigelow said, referring to the swimmers who are not competing at the NESCAC Championships in two weeks. "I think they were all pleased with how they performed. Some of them had huge drops in their times. There were some season and even career bests."

For those who are not swimming at the NESCAC Championships, this was a chance to put an exclamation point on a successful season, and junior Katie Mims felt that they did just that.

"For swimmers not going to NESCACs, this was the final hurrah," she said. "[Freshman] Carolyn Chmielewski swam really well, as did Sara Sawyer, Alison Manchester and Carolyn St. Laurence."

Each of these freshman swam their best time of the year, and since they will not be participating at the championship meet, their personal bests carried that much more significance.

Swimmers who will be participating at the NESCAC Championships in Middlebury on Feb. 18th - 20th used this meet as a chance to prepare, as many swam events in which they would not normally participate to get in the extra practice. Conversely, some members of the team, for a change of pace, did not swim in the event in which they will be competing at the Championships.

"A few tried to stay away from their main events," said Bigelow. "This gives them a chance to relax and have a little fun."

Mims backed up the rationale.

"I swam seven events, stuff that I never do," she said. "It was fun, a little more laid back."

The Jumbos started the meet well, finished third and fourth in the 200-yard medley relay. The team that consisted of Mims and freshman Monika Burns, Allison Palomaki and Bianca Spinosa finished in a time of 1:55.10, just ahead of the foursome of senior quad-captain Sarah Ferranti, sophomore Chloe Young-Hyman, junior Meghan Wallach and freshman Tia Bassano (1:55.57).

There were solid Tufts performances in nearly every event. Young-Hyman finished second in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:09.71) and sixth in the 50-yard freestyle (25.95). Bassano finished fifth in the 200 free (2:00.08) and eighth in the 50 free (26.04). Junior Jessica Schwartz had a good day diving, finishing fifth in both the one meter and three meter competitions.

The Jumbos finished the season with a respectable 5-2 record, with losses to league rivals Connecticut College and Wesleyan. The team may get a chance to avenge these conference losses as those who are going to the NESCAC Championships will continue to practice and work hard.

"The girls have done so much," said Bigelow. "Last year was a spectacular year, but this year has also been outstanding. It really is a team process. They put in so much time and battle through so many injuries and illnesses."

Mims also emphasized the commitment and dedication the team has displayed.

"After winter break, we made a pact as a team to go dry," she said, referring to the team's abstinence from alcohol. "Until NESCACs, there will be no partying. We take it very seriously."

"Swimming is a sport in which you need to be in top shape. It is a lot more physically demanding than most people give it credit for," Mims continued. "We know that, and that's why we go dry. We do it as a team: it's not an NCAA rule, a NESCAC rule, or even Nancy's rule."

The team's fitness and overall talent in the pool will be put to the test at Middlebury against an extremely challenging field.

In the regular season, the Jumbos faced Conn. College, Bowdoin, Wesleyan, Trinity, and Bates. Along with losses to the Camels and the Cardinals, Tufts beat Bowdoin, Trinity and Bates in close matches, with the margin of victory never exceeding 20 and getting as tight as two in a nail-biter against Trinity.

"Williams is heavily favored," commented Bigelow. "They are a very good team, but so are we."

Mims agreed with her coach.

"The Championships will be tough this year," she said. "We have been training for it all season, and though we suffered a couple of key losses from last season, we also have the addition of some great freshmen. We'll be ready."