Where you read it first | Friday, September 27, 2024

Pass the buck, duck the bullet

As the holiday season rolls around, families across the country look forward to celebrating and spending time with friends and loved ones. For many, however, this year's celebrations will empty as those close to them are overseas, fighting in the longest American military engagement since the war in southeast Asia. The chill of winter and the approach of the holidays should remind us of those in uniform serving overseas longer and in greater numbers than would be necessary had our leaders planned better.

In the lead-up to the war in Iraq, optimism was the word of the day, with Bush administration officials expressing confidence that Baghdad would fall and the peace would be maintained with minimal American casualties. In the 20 months since American-led forces took the Iraqi capital, however, we have witnessed chaos in that nation due to the incompetence and ignorance of American leadership.

The issue of chaos is not simply a political football: it is a real, pressing human concern. President Bush can repeat "freedom is on the march" all he wants, but this will not change the harsh reality faced by both Iraqis and their American occupiers. A classified CIA cable from the Baghdad station chief reported that the situation on the ground is bad and may in fact be a precursor to civil war. Those inside the beltway would like to keep those types of news items quiet to avoid bad press. If only our countrymen and the people of the country they occupy had the same luxury.

Against this backdrop of smoke and mirrors, the military recently announced that it was increasing the American troop presence in the region in the lead-up to elections there at the end of January. This means that more men and women are being sent overseas before the holidays because President Bush and his team couldn't convince other countries to join the so-called "coalition of the willing."

The Department of Defense has also made liberal use of stop-loss policies that keep soldiers in active duty beyond their enlistment contracts. Such procedures are currently the subject of a civil suit in federal court and are opposed by many as a back-door draft. Certainly it would seem to be an ominous sign when we have to force our own volunteer soldiers to stay on the job because we cannot find the manpower elsewhere.

Yesterday in Kuwait an American soldier asked Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld why soldiers weren't going into battle with sufficient armor. His answer was deeply disturbing, as he told the assembled group of volunteers that "you go to war with the army you have." Perhaps Mr. Rumsfeld can sleep on that, but families across the country are being kept awake with fears of their loved ones' safety when they are inadequately equipped. These people volunteer to give their lives, if necessary; one would think that the government would do everything possible to make sure it isn't necessary. Unfortunately, our government has fallen short.

One by one, the death toll mounts on both sides, yet Bush, Rumsfeld, and the army of believers marches on, either oblivious to or ignorant of the real dangers facing everyone involved in the area. No matter how rosily the administration tries to paint the bleak picture that is American-occupied Iraq, there will be thousands facing the real picture. Let's hope Bush gets it.