Univ. of Colorado hires DiBiaggio as liaison

John DiBiaggio, the president of Tufts from 1992-2001, was hired by the scandal-ridden University of Colorado (CU) at Boulder to help clean up the athletic department's image.

Several women recently sued the school alleging they were raped at football recruiting sex-parties or by football players. Chancellor Richard Byyny asked DiBiaggio to perform an assessment of the athletic culture at CU.

DiBiaggio will interview people on campus and provide an "ongoing assessment" to the university president, he said from his house in Snowmass, Colo. He will also investigate whether "the problem is pervasive" or the allegations amount to isolated incidents. DiBiaggio will also serve as a liaison between several administrators.

DiBiaggio said he wants to answer the question, "Are athletes treated differently from students in general?" He will review admissions and recruiting practices, in addition to general campus behavior.

The chancellor has charged DiBiaggio with the development of a "model program" DiBiaggio said.

In a press release, Byyny called the appointment a "significant next step in the university's ongoing efforts to find out the facts about the recent allegations surrounding the university's football program and athletic department."

The position is funded through June, but DiBiaggio said "hopefully it will be completed by April."

DiBiaggio will receive $21,000 per month plus a $1,000 housing allowance. The salary was pro-rated based on his Tufts salary, and it will be paid out of non-state funds. DiBiaggio will start next week.

He is confident his experience at Tufts will provide a good basis for understanding student-athlete relationships. "I have seen how you can do without heavy recruiting and scholarships," he said.

Tufts Athletic Director Bill Gehling said DiBiaggio has "had lots of hands-on experience with the challenge of balancing athletics and academics in big time universities with big athletic programs."

Before coming to Tufts, DiBiaggio was president of Michigan State University from 1985-1992 and the University of Connecticut from 1979-1985.

Gehling said DiBiaggio's honesty will be an asset in his position at CU. "He was excited about the idea of student athletes, and wasn't shy about saying so when that wasn't always the case."

Gehling said DiBiaggio's "experience at Michigan State will better prepare him, but at same time, his experience at Tufts will show what [CU's program] can and should be."

DiBiaggio also worked on the Knight Commission, an NCAA board which made recommendations on ethics in college sports. In addition, he served on the Division III Board of Presidents.

Gehling also praised DiBiaggio's personal character. "He is a man of great integrity, he has enough experience at that level, and doesn't have any na‹vet‚," Gehling said.

Gehling said DiBiaggio has a difficult task ahead of him. "There is so much money involved, so many TV dollars. [CU's program] is all about winning. Unless everyone [in the league] agrees, it's hard for one to fly in the face [of previous policy]."

DiBiaggio said his experiences as president have prepared him for these challenges. "I know and appreciate the pressures," he said, "but I also know that the president can make a difference."

The University of Colorado position is one of several jobs DiBiaggio has held in the last three years. DiBiaggio became a trustee for the University of Massachusetts last fall.

DiBiaggio is not letting the work cramp his personal style however. He still finds time to ski out of his home in Snowmass.