Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Jumbos make most of Middlebury, tie-break system

For now, it doesn't matter that the men's basketball team was only down 13 points at the half to the number one team in the country, but then only made 27.6 percent of its shots in the second half. And, it really doesn't matter that, a week ago, the Jumbos traveled all the way to Colby just to get smoked, 80-65. In reality, all that matters is that Tufts took care of business at home against Middlebury on Wednesday.

That win meant Tufts would finish the season with at least two NESCAC wins, and put them in a three-way tie with Middlebury and Colby for the final two playoff spots. All three teams finished with 2-7 conference records.

After going through seven basketball-related tie-breaking scenarios, the selection of the seventh seed in the playoffs came down to a "random action," according to Robb Modica, assistant director for conference operation of the NESCAC.

That random action was pulling a name out of a hat. Andrea Savage, administrative director of the NESCAC, and Modica were both on hand as Tufts was the team selected. The Jumbos were awarded the seventh seed, meaning they have to play second-seeded Trinity in Hartford on Saturday.

"I was kind of surprised the way we ended the season," senior co-captain Eric Mack said. "We lost games we shouldn't have. But I guess you have to get it how you get it."

With Middlebury and Colby left after Tufts was selected as the seventh seed, Middlebury gained the eighth seed because the Panthers won in head-to-head competition over Colby. Middlebury travels to top seed Williams on Saturday.

"I think they need to get a better way of tie-breaking," Mack said. "Maybe something that has to do with basketball, not just luck."

While Modica feels the final tie-breaking criteria is unfortunate, a change would have to come from the athletic directors at each NESCAC school and so far, no AD has motioned for a change.

Ready for Clark

Now that the Jumbos are in the playoffs, their game Thursday at home against Clark actually means something and is an opportunity to improve on some of the weaker points of their game.

Both junior guard Jesse Belodoff and classmate Reggie Stovell agree, the Jumbos transition defense needs work.

"(Williams) had a style of play we haven't seen all year," Stovell said. "They got a lot of their points off fast breaks. We work totally different."

In fact, Stovell feels Tufts was not intimidated by Williams at all and it is more talented than the Ephs. He felt the Jumbos couldn't handle the up-and-down style of play.

Similar to Williams, next Saturday's opponent, Trinity, attempts a lot of three-pointers. The Bantams' shots become that much more effective if shooters can get open during transition phases. Also, Trinity will push the pace of the game if shots start falling, which could cause big runs.

"I think our transition defense needs to be a real focus against Trinity," Belodoff said. "I think it has been an issue a few times for spurts during games throughout the season. We may give up a few easy buckets, but then we remind ourselves to get back and it's not much of a problem after that."

>The infirmary

If you looked over at the Tufts bench during the Williams game, you would have seen four players in street clothes. Belodoff, sophomore Brian Fitzgerald, and freshmen David Shepherd and Brian Kumf all were sidelined with injuries.

With both Belodoff and Shepherd injured, Mack was expected to play many more minutes than he has throughout the season. In both the Middlebury and Williams game, Mack played a team-high 36 minutes.

"You want to play as much as you can," Mack said. "But, you got to pick your spots and can't go hard the whole time. You have to conserve energy."

In addition, Kumf and Fitzgerald's injuries hurt Tufts, especially when Dan Martin picked up his fourth foul with 14 minutes left in the Williams game.

Belodoff is trying to come back for Thursday's game and Kumf could possibly come back this weekend, but Fitzgerald and Shepherd are both done for the season.

Throwbacks

Stovell and Mack were trying for some throwback power against Williams by wearing black Converse shoes compared to the rest of the team's white Nike's.

"We're testing out Converse," Mack said. "We wore white at first but they fell apart, and the only ones they had left were black."

Mack added, "They feel better than the Nike's."

In addition, Stovell took out his braids/cornrows and let his hair breath in the form of a big Snoop Dogg/John Shaft-like afro.

"I thought that the fro would have worked for the Williams game," Stovell said.

"That's old school, he's taking it back, way back," Mack said.