Time for a new Tufts tradition?

So what happened at the Naked Quad Run 2003? Hundreds of Tufts students were able to run naked around the residential quad in celebration of the end of the semester. What they missed out on was an experience that was an unorganized and quasi-spontaneous act of freedom. If the spontaneity and counter-culture of the run no longer exist, it may be time for Tufts students to find something new. The "NQR," as the administration prefers to call it, was similar to the Naked Quad Runs of previous years only because of the run.

The disappointment of not getting naked in West's basement paled in comparison to the disappointment of the track that had been created. Instead of a narrow alley surrounded by spectators, runners found themselves in a chute, giving plenty of room for spectators to view and take full body pictures and videos. And take pictures they did. Despite the reassurance that planning and supervising the Naked Quad Run would benefit everyone because the use of cameras would be reduced, the crowd flashed like fireflies on a muggy summer night. Any reduction in video was minimal, as anyone who has internet access knows.

The organizers can be applauded for the safety of the event. However, to call the Naked Quad Run this year a success because only two people reported injuries is hasty. The Naked Quad Run last year was a tragedy. The safety precautions enacted were valuable, but some were draconian. Locking down West Hall killed the spirit of the Quad Run and chased the drinking to other dorms and houses. No single dorm became dangerously crowded like West used to be, however, and the damage was kept to a minimum. The memory and the tales of last year were much more effective in preventing a recurrence of the plague of alcohol poisoning incidences than any actions taken by the TCU and Programming Board.

For better or for worse, one must be thankful for the administration's middle of the road stance towards the event which allowed it to continue. Many other schools, such Princeton and Michigan, have lost this freedom. Our administration was willing to meet us in the middle. For this we had to make some sacrifices.

TUPD Captain Mark Keith recalled that twenty-five years ago, he first encountered the Naked Quad Run when a pack of naked students suddenly ran past him. If Tufts students seek the purity of spontaneity, it may be time to move on. But if they just want to run naked, Tufts could do worse than the current situation.