Tufts ranked fifth for study abroad programs

Tufts moved up five full spots to fifth in a list of American research institutions that send their undergraduate students to study abroad, according to the Institute of International Education (IIE).

This year's list marks Tufts' highest ranking in recent years. It was ranked tenth in last year's study abroad survey, down from a ranking of eighth in the 1998-99 school year.

The IIE, funded by the State Department's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, compiled this most recent list using figures from the 2001-2002 academic year. They were published it in its Open Doors Report, which provides comprehensive information on international educational exchange in the United States.

For the purpose of the Open Doors Report, IIE defines study abroad as only those students who receive academic credit from US-accredited institutions of higher learning after they return from their time abroad.

Heidi Reinholdt, an IIE public relations representative, also said that the survey only tracks US citizens going abroad. As a result, the numbers do not include international students enrolled in American colleges and universities who study abroad during their junior year.

Surveys were sent out to 1,286 institutions during the fall of 2002, asking them to provide statistics on the number of their students whom were awarded academic credit for studying abroad in 2001-2002, including during the summer of 2002. Of those institutions, 87 percent completed the survey.

The report says Tufts had 584 study abroad students in 2001-2002, 553 of whom were undergraduates. These 553 undergraduate students accounted for 41.6 percent of the junior class that year.

The number-one ranked institution was Yeshiva University in New York City. Nearly 75 percent of its undergrads participate in study abroad programs, most in Israel.

Yeshiva is followed by Georgetown University, the University of Notre Dame, and Duke University, with 52.1, 50.6, and 49.7 percent, respectively.

Sheila Bayne, Associate Dean of Study Abroad Programs at the University, said that having a strong study abroad program distinguishes Tufts from other institutions.

"I think that there is a lot of interest in study abroad here. Tufts is always in the top ten or 20. We are a very different study abroad institution in that we have a very serious language requirement," Bayne said.

As an example she cited the fact that Tufts has one of the few study abroad programs in Paris that requires six semesters of university-level French. She also said that International Relations -- one of the most popular majors at the University -- requires eight semesters of foreign language.

"We have intellectually sophisticated students," Bayne said.

The report also recognizes the fact that though the United Kingdom is still the most popular destination for American study abroad students. With 300,000 students heading there this year, it also marks the first time that the numbers fell slightly -- by half of a percent.

Less traditional destinations, such as China, South Africa, and the Czech Republic became more popular, with popularity increasing by a third.

Open Doors 2003 reported that most American students go abroad for shorter periods of time. Ninety-one percent of students in 2001-2002 went abroad for a semester or less, the report said.

"It's difficult for students to imagine to go abroad for a full year, but almost anyone who does is glad they went for the whole year," Bayne said.

Bayne also said that when students apply to any of the Tufts-run study abroad programs, preference is given to those who say they want to go for the entire academic year.

The report showed a 4.4 percent increase in US students abroad in 2001-2002. But that only represents only 130,000 of the country's 13 million undergraduate students.

A $3.5 billion dollar a year program known as the "Lincoln Fellowship" has been proposed. Its goal would be to increase US study abroad students that go overseas for at least one summer or semester to half a million. These students would also receive a $7,000 annual stipend and be encouraged to study abroad in developing nations.

"I think it's an excellent initiative and I am strongly in support of it," Bayne said. "It's nice to know that [Tufts] is at the forefront of what needs to be done."

According to freshman Rahel Menghestab, the University's emphasis on study abroad opportunities is one of the exact reasons he came to Tufts. "I chose Tufts because it offers a lot of diverse study abroad programs within the school - it makes it a lot easier to transfer credit and receive financial aid," he said.

Senior Courtney Benson said she studied abroad at The Autonomous University of Madrid last year through the Tufts-in-Madrid program because it facilitated the credit transfer process.

Others, such as sophomore Will Northrop, who is planning his year abroad for 2004-2005 said he was not going to go on a Tufts program because "it's a full year and very expensive."

On the most part, however, Tufts students are satisfied with what the abroad experience has contributed to their undergraduate studies. The graduating class of 2003 filled out a survey, Bayne said, in which 55 percent indicated they were 'very satisfied' with study abroad at Tufts. Those that responded that they were 'satisfied' numbered 34.8 percent.