Tracking progress and problems

In the past, I have spoken out on what I feel have been accountability and relevance issues in the TCU Senate. So far this year, the noble institution has yet to make any blatant visible guffaws. In fact, the most visible act of the Senate so far, Fall Ball, was an enormous success.

Now, the Senate has come out with its online "Project Progress Tracker." I am ecstatic. Finally, the average student can find out quickly and concisely what is going on in the Senate without sitting through the arduous Sunday night meetings. Even better, students (and campus political critics like myself) can now see exactly which Senate members are working on projects that have some sort of importance, and which ones are simply weak links left over from high school student government.

Don't worry. The Project Progress Tracker does show some inherent flaws in the TCU system. In a Daily article last week ("Website tracker to keep students updated with Senate projects," Oct. 15), TCU President Chike Aguh said that the system will give senators an increased desire to follow through on their projects. Senators should have a desire to follow through because they care, because they have passion, because it is their job, irrespective of whether the public knows about it.

Also, sophomore senator Rafi Goldberg points out that without knowing what projects Senators have completed, students would "have no reason to vote for us again." Oh, Rafi, how I wish that were true. As I have mentioned before, most incumbent senators do not face challengers. Students really have no reason to vote, period, under the current system -- except in presidential elections. Hopefully, the tracker will inspire students to get involved in the Senate.

Chike Aguh, Randy Newsom, and Rafi Goldberg -- the brain trust behind the tracker -- probably did not realize that some of the projects posted on the tracker will actually make the Senate look ridiculous and petty. I assume, however, that transparency was a goal. With transparency comes criticism. What follows is an analysis of some of my favorite current Senate projects, keeping in mind the changes in campus social life, on-campus theft, printing fees, etc.

Varsity weight room. This would represent a step backward for Tufts. One of the best features of our university is that students have equal access to facilities. All students can use music practice rooms. Any one can audition for a play in the Drama Department. And any one can use the same fitness facilities. By separating varsity athletes and regular Joes, the University would be making a terrible statement that most students would not agree with. Fitness priorities on this campus should focus on health and wellness for all, as evidenced by the FIT program.

Hand dryers in dorms. I think people can bring their own towels to Tufts. Think of it as energy conscious and environmentally friendly. Is there some kind of wet hand epidemic on campus that I somehow missed? Besides, I always think hand dryers are a pain, never actually drying anything. Thankfully, Arts & Sciences will not be funding this asinine project. If you are crushed, buy a hair dryer and set it on cool, or put your lips together and blow.

DVD vending machines. Because the free ones at Tisch aren't good enough? Because the machines would work when they finally get installed? Because students are bored by the lack of events occurring on campus? Go outside! See Boston! Get a life!

Cultural magazines in the bookstore. Who buys magazines in the bookstore?

Internet stations in dining halls. You have got to be kidding me. There are people starving in the world, and you can't eat a meal without checking your e-mail? This campus isn't that big that you're ever that far from a public terminal. One of the beauties of dining halls is that you interact with real, live people face-to-face. Let's keep it that way, or before you know it, people will have a separate IM screen name for lunch at Dewick.

There are some great projects that good senators are working on this semester. In particular, check out the projects regarding cultural curricula, Dining and Business Services, and community relations. Historian Jeff Katzin, several culture representatives, and some promising freshmen are demonstrating a commitment to working to make real positive change in the community, not to make names for themselves. Other senators should hop on the progress tracker train as soon as possible. Good senators can experience nothing but gains from the tracker. Poor ones, however, will see their stars falling. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.