Pats choose salary cap over championship ring

After a 4-0, essentially injury free preseason, the New England Patriots' camp was more than likely full of high fives, strawberries and ice cream.

The core players from the Super Bowl team of two years ago were still in tact as of three days ago, with minor cap casualties J.R. Redmond and Otis Smith being the exceptions. Then, like a kick to the groin, the high fives stopped as the NFL economic system reared its ugly head in the form of the Pats cutting three-time Pro Bowl strong safety Lawyer Milloy.

It is simply difficult to be optimistic about the hometown team's aspirations as they prepare for the first game of a crucial season without the heart, soul and CAPTAIN of their defense. And this is not just any defense. This is Bill Belichick's defense that now has even better athletes at certain positions -- namely free-agent signees Roosevelt Colvin at Linebacker and Rodney Harrison at Free Safety, as well as rookie everything man Dan Klecko -- than he may have had for the Super Bowl team.

In a preseason where such valuable commodities as Michael Vick, Chad Pennington and Frank Wycheck have gone down with injuries, the Patriots took an alternate route to diminishing their team's chances by waiving Milloy.

While Belichick and player personnel director Scott Pioli have gotten a free pass since the Super Bowl victory, this is the first move that may call their collective "genius" into question. Only time will tell.

But the outlook may not be as bleak as it appears. While he may sign with Buffalo and actually play against New England this week (I wouldn't blame him), Milloy managed to play every game last season and still not have one interception, sack, forced or recovered fumble. The coaches obviously know something we don't and are confident that a rotation of Chris Akins, Antwan Harris and Aric Morris can be sufficient in the system.

As for the rest of the defensive backfield, the mixture of other veteran leaders as well as rookie studs will try to prove that LAL (Life after Lawyer) is actually manageable. Rodney Harrison lays big hits from the free safety spot and Ty Law has time and time again been a shut down corner. Youngsters Eugene Wilson and Asante Samuel, as well as newcomer Tyrone Poole, will battle for the spot opposite Law.

The linebackers and defensive front have taken huge strides toward improving a unit that was 23rd in the league in total D and 31st against the run. And by huge strides, I mean obtaining guys like 365 pound tackle Ted Washington, who looks like he swallowed Adam Vinatieri whole. The 3-4 package should bring out the best in guys like tweener Willie McGinest and newly minted defensive end Richard Seymour.

Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Roman Phifer and a healthy Ted Johnson should all benefit from Washington's adeptness at taking on blockers and Colvin's potential to take a little of the pressure off of them. Colvin makes the unit faster, and lack of speed caught up with the defense last year.

Prior to Milloy being released, the microscope was on the offense, but more specifically the rushing attack. While these weaknesses may not be getting the attention now, they will still be just as suspect when the squad has to suit up in Buffalo this weekend.

As with any team, the facility with which the offense moves begins and ends with the protection up front. Aside from Pro Bowl center Damien Woody, the Pats' line is more serviceable than spectacular. But even one injury could seriously hurt them, with depth being a problem after free agent signee Brendan Stai retired early in training camp. It was the third year in a row that a veteran lineman the Patriots had brought in for insurance retired in July.

At running back, it does not appear that one man will be starting all 16 games for the Pats. Kevin Faulk, an off and on guy as far as reliability goes, has still found a niche as a third down back. But if Antowain Smith does not return to the 2001 form that saw him bumping off the first hit and busting long runs, Faulk could be pushed into every down duty. This would put the Pats on shaky ground, if it was not shaky enough already.

The passing game, on the other hand, should not see any problems just as long as either Christian Fauria or Daniel Graham can emerge as good dump-off options for Tom Brady. The group of receivers is talented and has speed to burn as well. Troy Brown has emerged from third down playmaker into all-down playmaker, David Patten had a great preseason, and Belichick said rookie Bethel Johnson is the fastest player he has ever coached.

As is often commonplace with the club, special teams should not pose difficulties. Vinatieri is the best clutch kicker in the game and the Pats have return men coming out of their ears.

While a dynasty is nearly impossible in today's NFL, putting together a competitive bunch year in and year out is not. As long as the system is in place, a lot is possible.

Prediction with Milloy: 12-4, AFC CHAMPS

Prediction: 10-6, lose in the second round