Three is better than two

When the Spring Fling lineup is announced each year, there is usually a wave of Viewpoints and letters written expressing people's dismay or excitement over the choice of the bands. I am of the opinion that, because catering to so many different musical tastes on this diverse campus is extremely difficult, we should be happy with the three bands chosen because there will usually be at least one act that satisfies many kinds of musical preferences, or that if this year's choices do not get you jumping for joy, last year's did or next year's will.

I was overjoyed at the choice last year of Toots and the Maytals, one of the greatest reggae bands in history and probably my favorite Tufts concert memory. And as a kicker, one of my favorite rock bands moe. was the headliner. While this year's bands are slightly more disappointing for my own personal tastes, I still don't blame the Concert Board for making the choices they did. They "hooked me up," so to speak, last year with the best possible Tufts concert I could have hoped for, and so I feel that this year others who may not have found last year too enthralling will be pleased.

While it is certainly true that I am less than excited about this year's acts, that is not the point of this Viewpoint. Why have the three acts been reduced to two this year? Concert board member Jordan Kolanski said in Monday's Daily that "people usually didn't show up for the first one, so we decided to cut that one and get a more expensive act like Busta Rhymes." Was Jordan even at the last two Spring Flings? Certainly very few people show up for the day's opener, the perennial winner of the Tufts Battle of the Bands. But even for that, there are always the faithful fans that helped the band win the contest in the first place who show up.

My memory of these last two years has been quite contrasting to Kolanski's. The first real act of the day usually goes on around 1:00 p.m. or so, by which time much of the campus is already out on the lawn enjoying the activities. While many choose to stay at home and further their inebriation for the later acts, there are also those who are there to enjoy the day and the music without a blood alcohol content of 0.2.

Both the past two years I have arrived at the President's lawn around 1:00 p.m. When I get there around 1:00 p.m. I always see almost all of my friends already there, and all those other faces of acquaintances, freshman year quasi-friendships, and kids from language class. In fact, I do not know of many people who aren't there by 1:00 p.m. Two years ago Jurassic 5 had a huge crowd around the stage, as well as a rather well filled lawn enjoying their show.

Toots and the Maytals had a similar atmosphere, with such an amazing energy from the crowd that would be impossible were there not too many people there. Don't we remember the mass stage dancing celebration during Toots' closing number? Doesn't everyone start drinking at around ten in the morning anyway, and are pumped to be hearing music by 1:00 p.m.?

In addition, by the time the headliner comes on around 3:30 p.m. or so, the crowd has reached a rather rowdy and bawdy level, and the lawn has been reduced to a frat basement anyway. Lots of kids end up going home because they're too drunk or they have had enough of the day for now.

Regardless, of the students who remain for the whole show, only a small percentage actually are there for the music for the whole time and not the party. Eliminating the first act will not make attendance any higher for the late acts. Kids will still be stumbling home to pass out and recharge for their nightly endeavors around 3:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m.. This year, despite having a "big name" artist like Busta Rhymes, (and by the way, isn't Busta a little washed out at this point? He's almost a has-been already!) many students won't even be sober enough or patient enough to listen to him play.

I am greatly disappointed with the Concert Board's decision to axe the first act, if not for the reasons above, then because the third act provides another musical alternative, which will be missing this year. This year's music is hip-hop and ska. While I enjoy both these genres, I am very much a rock and roll fan. Even if it were a band I was not to familiar with, I would like to be seeing a rock act in there to represent the many other attendees who love distorted guitars, funky drumbeats, melodic catchy vocals and virtuoso musicians.

I am not against hip-hop or ska. I am for any type of music that makes people happy. But I am for many different kinds of music, a smorgasbord so that there is something for everyone. By eliminating one of the acts, Concert Board is making Spring Fling a little less enjoyable for a major number of students. If there were only a rock act and a ska act, then I would be saying the same thing, that there should be a hip-hop act (can't we get someone a little bit better too? Mos Def loves Tufts, he's got connections around here, right?). Any rock outfit would have done the trick for so many. Concert Board should seriously reconsider making this a permanent change to the Spring Fling schedule.

Jake Cohen is a senior majoring in Music.