Where you read it first | Monday, September 23, 2024

Can calcium cure PMS?

Women, and the men who suffer alongside them: take note. There may be a simple way to prevent or minimize PMS. Do you suffer from premenstrual syndrome (PMS) or know someone who does? Chances are you do, because PMS is estimated to affect 70 to 90 percent of women at some point during their childbearing years, and 30 million women regularly suffer the symptoms of PMS. Between 30 to 40 percent of women are thought to have PMS symptoms severe enough to interfere with their daily activities.

Premenstrual syndrome is characterized by mild to moderate symptoms including abdominal cramping, breast tenderness, backache, general aches and pains, and bloating. It also includes mood changes such as fatigue, food cravings, mood swings, depression,

anxiety, anger, crying, and insomnia. Typically, a woman will experience symptoms for two to four days before menstruation. However, some women may suffer for up to two weeks prior to getting her period. The severity and types of symptoms vary greatly from woman to woman. And each woman may have a different experience from month to month.

Oftentimes PMS symptoms can be managed through exercise and dietary measures, such as eating a healthful diet, and limiting salty and sugary foods as well as caffeine and alcohol. Women seeking further treatment may be encouraged to keep a symptom diary for a minimum of three months in order to correlate symptoms with the menstrual cycle. The symptom diary can be used to diagnose PMS and lead to more focused and appropriate treatments. Several vitamin and mineral supplements are commonly used, however, research supporting their effectiveness is only preliminary.

Some scientists believe that vitamins and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D are closely involved with the menstrual cycle, and their regulation within the body may be responsible for PMS symptoms. Before a woman gets her period, levels of the hormone estrogen peak, and some studies indicate that at the same time, blood levels of calcium decrease. If a woman is deficient in calcium to begin with, levels plunge even further at this time.

Calcium levels may be lower in women with PMS and some researchers believe PMS symptoms are actually the result of low calcium levels (hypocalcemia). Symptoms of hypocalcemia include fatigue, anxiety, depression, memory problems, personality changes, neuromuscular irritability, and muscle cramps -- symptoms nearly identical to PMS.

Some studies have shown that calcium supplements alleviate PMS symptoms. The doses used are often slightly higher than the 1000 mg recommended for women between the ages of 19 and 50. On average, however, women in this age group consume less than two thirds of this amount. The tolerable upper intake limit for calcium, or the dose at which calcium may have toxic effects, is 2500 mg/day. Some proponents of the calcium-PMS connection think that consistent calcium intake is extremely important and suggest a range between 1000 -- 1400 mg of calcium per day, every day. Maximizing calcium intake to minimize PMS can't hurt and might even help. In fact, most women could benefit from a calcium boost, which is also crucial for strong bones and preventing osteoporosis down the road.

Women should aim for three good calcium sources each day. If you choose your calcium from the dairy group, eat low fat products such as skim milk or reduced fat yogurt. Good calcium choices include one cup of milk (300 mg), one cup of calcium-fortified soymilk or orange juice (300 mg), 3/4 cup of yogurt (300 mg), one ounce hard cheese (205 mg), one cup canned baked beans (130 mg), 1/2 cup ice cream (85 mg), 1/4 cup tofu made with calcium (125 mg), and 1/2 cup broccoli (35 mg).

Information on the calcium content of foods is available at http://www.dialadietitian.org/resources/handouts/calciumlist.html. If you are unable to meet an adequate intake through diet alone, a calcium supplement is recommended. Calcium citrate is a very absorbable supplement, and is easy on the stomach. No more than 500 mg of calcium should be taken at one time, so it may be necessary to take two 500 mg tablets each day to meet your needs.

Calcium-containing foods and supplements are relatively inexpensive in comparison to over-the-counter and prescription medications for PMS, safe in the amounts recommended to treat PMS, and accessible to the general population. If you have a tendency to retain water, you may want to limit salt during the premenstrual period. A healthful diet with enough calcium, limiting alcohol, not smoking, and exercising may prevent or reduce the symptoms of PMS.