Where you read it first | Sunday, October 27, 2024

Cable exercises can spice up triceps workout

My triceps routine is stale. I do overhead extensions, skull-crushers, and press downs. Any suggestions for something new?

Here are two neglected cable exercises for triceps that can help you add variation and make your workouts more interesting.

>Lying cable French press

To perform this exercise, you will need one side of the cable set on the non-athlete side in the gym. You should probably go at a time when the gym is fairly empty. I know from experience that if you try to bring a bench in front of the cables when Gantcher is crowded, you get a lot of dirty looks from guys that want to look at themselves in the mirrors (not that it should deter you).

Anyway, bring an incline bench over to the cable stack, position it so the seat is facing away from the stack, and set it on a fairly low incline (just one or two notches above parallel with the floor). Adjust the pulley so that it is just below the top of the bench. Lying on your back, reach behind you and grab the bar (straight or EZ curl, it doesn't matter) with both hands.

The motion is very similar to barbell skull-crushers. Keeping your elbows in and motionless, extending your hands until your arms are straight. Squeeze your triceps throughout the movement, focusing on maintaining a strong muscle contraction. Keep your upper arms perpendicular to your torso while doing this, and move only your forearms. Bring the bar back to the top of your forehead, and extend your arms again. Be sure to perform the exercise smoothly, as one of the benefits of cable work is the continuous tension, and smooth, controlled movement _ take advantage of it.

>Cable kick-backs

This is a good finishing movement. Attach the D-grip and adjust the cable stack so it is about even with your hand (if you're standing). Bending at the waist, lean toward the stack and grab the handle. Bring your upper arm so it is in line with your body, and keeping your forearm at a right angle. Again, the elbow must stay motionless during this exercise to isolate the triceps. Bending at the elbow, straighten your arm, and squeeze at the top of the movement. For an added burn, turn your thumb out at the top of each rep. Perform each rep slowly and deliberately, as form is paramount with all finishing exercises due to the lightweight.

My boyfriend says that I have gained a little bit of weight at college. After chastising him for his insensitivity, I did some research on the Internet, and I have devised my own fitness plan that uses a combination of resistance training and cardio (as you recommended in past articles). My question is pretty simple: if I lift weights too often, will I start to develop that blocky, bulky, muscular look? I know a girl at home who lifts weights and she is huge. _ Kristen at Penn State University

Well, Kristen, let me first correct you. I am sure by "huge," you simply mean "overly muscular." Secondly, no, I don't think you need to worry about getting overly muscular by following a program that incorporates weights and cardio. Females don't have the genetics to build excessive muscle mass.

The female bodybuilders you see on television achieved their massive size through years of hardcore training and steroid abuse. Also, they lead heavily regimented lives, eating almost constantly and devoting each and every day to their muscular physiques. You may see a resulting increase in muscle definition or firmness with weight training, but these are positive results that come with the exercise. Keep the reps high and the weight light if you are truly worried about muscular hypertrophy, but my advice is to ask a trainer in your gym. I am sure a five-minute talk can assuage any fears you have of getting too "diesel."