Caffeine: A Safe Energy Boost for Finals?

Some commonly asked questions about Caffeine intake _ just in time for finals.

Will caffeine help keep me awake while studying?

Caffeine _ a stimulant found in coffee, tea and soda _ may help ward off sleepiness. It is a commonly used drug that has been shown to enhance vigilance, increase alertness and improve mood and reaction time. It is generally considered safe for most people to consume a moderate amount of caffeine _ about 300 milligrams, or the amount in two cups of coffee.

Caffeine affects everyone a little differently and a lot depends on how much you're used to consuming. The more caffeine you drink, the more of a "tolerance" you develop. If you typically drink several cups of coffee each day, you would have to drink even more than that in order to feel caffeine's effects and keeping yourself alert.

The best strategy for both your health and your grades may then be to only drink a cup of coffee or soda now and then when your concentration could use a boost.

Are there any side effects of having too much caffeine?

There are side effects of consuming any amount caffeine. Caffeine temporarily stimulates the central nervous and cardiovascular systems, increasing heart rate and blood pressure, stimulating muscles and increasing urination. Secondly, at doses that are higher than what you are accustomed to, caffeine may cause jitters, anxiety and diarrhea.

In addition, someone who consumes caffeine regularly may experience withdrawal symptoms including jitters and headaches when caffeine intake is suddenly decreased. But because people have different tolerances, and some people are simply more sensitive to caffeine, it is difficult to quantify the number of milligrams at which point any side effects will occur.

Caffeine can also increase calcium losses, but moderate amounts (300 mg per day) seem to have little influence on bone health. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for calcium is1,000 mg. If you choose a 12-ounce latte with skim milk, you'll get 450 mg of calcium towards your daily total.

Do "energy drinks" really give you more energy?

Energy drinks like Jolt, Red Bull, and AMP contain high levels of caffeine and sugar in addition to a range of other ingredients promoted as energy enhancers. These ingredients may include B vitamins and amino acids (protein). Most contain about 125 calories per 8 ounces and 20 to 30 grams of carbohydrate, which is mostly sugar. The amount of caffeine varies depending on the beverage, but the range is about 70 to 100 mg per 8 ounces.

Oftentimes the caffeine comes from guarana, derived from the seeds of a Brazilian plant, which is similar to but stronger than caffeine. Some energy drinks contain such high levels of caffeine that unwanted side effects may result. This is especially common in anyone who suddenly turns to these beverages during periods of stress, like finals week.

All the other special ingredients _ vitamins and energy-boosting formulas _ will increase the product's price, but probably nothing else. For example, providing B vitamins only increases energy if you're deficient in these vitamins. But in the general population, B vitamin deficiencies are rare. You may be able to get the same effects by consuming a cheaper can of soda on occasion and taking your daily multivitamin.

The Bottom Line:

Caffeine has been shown to improve concentration and alertness the most in people who don't regularly consume it. Therefore, unless your doctor tells you otherwise, it is generally safe to consume a moderate amount of caffeine _ less than 300 mg per day. Of course, if you haven't always been a latte lover and suddenly begin to consume a lot of caffeine during the week of exams, you may find yourself jittery, nervous and running to the bathroom...at least your reaction time will have improved.