Everything but the kitchen sink

Sick of frat parties? Looking for something new and exciting to do this weekend? Well, you're in luck _ the end of the semester is nearing, which means that Tufts' many performance groups are gearing up to share their work of the semester with the public. There's at least one show each night this weekend, ranging everywhere from classical music, to dance, and, of course, to a cappella. And _ best of all _ with the exception of tonight's Supershow, all performances are free!

Tonight:

Supershow, 7:30 pm, Cohen Auditorium

They don't call it Supershow for nothing. Sponsored by the elite dance ensemble Sarabande, the annual Supershow is variety entertainment at its best, featuring short skits, dances, and songs from several different performance ensembles. Travelling Treasure Trunk, Tufts Dance Collective, and a number of a cappella groups are just a few of the groups scheduled on the program.

Sophistry, 8 pm, Balch Arena Theater

The annual Pen, Paint, and Pretzels freshman show is produced and performed by first-year students under the guidance of an upperclassman director. This year's production, Sophistry, explores issues relating to sexual assault on a college campus. The show will also be performed on Saturday night.

Saturday:

sQ! Fall Show, 7:30 pm, Hotung Caf?©

Fresh from the release of its debut album, On the Upswing, the group will feature many selections from the album in this weekend's fall concert. The BC Bostonians from Boston College will open the show.

Shir Appeal Fall Show, 8 pm, Tufts Hillel

Shir Appeal has also recently released a new album, and will perform both new and old pieces at this weekend's concert. The members of Tufts' only coed Jewish a cappella group will be joined by special guest Essence.

Winds from Around the World, 8 pm, Cohen Auditorium

The Tufts Wind Ensemble fall concert will feature a diverse array of music from countries around the world, including Japan, Brazil, Mexico, the Netherlands and Britain. The event coincides with World Music Month.

Sunday:

CheapHYPE, 9 pm, Cohen Auditorium

You don't have to worry about your ears ringing from deafening music at CheapHYPE! Tufts only mime troupe, HYPE!, has the right to remain silent as they are joined by the improv gurus of Cheap Sox. Hype's segment of the show features a half hour of mime sketches set to contemporary music. Cheap Sox will step in to add they're to the evening.

Applied Student Recital, 8 pm, Alumnae Lounge

At the end of every semester, the Music Department invites students taking private lessons to perform the pieces they have been studying throughout the semester in a recital. This Sunday's performance will feature an impressive array of both instrumental and vocal music performed by Tufts students.

_Lauren Phillips