Where you read it first | Sunday, September 29, 2024

Students 'pained' by parking limits

No changes are forthcoming to University parking procedures, despite the fact that students _ especially freshmen _ are clamoring for more spaces.

As it stands, the parking policy does not allow freshmen to park or register cars on campus _ a rule that many students find to be restrictive. "Since I live near here, it's a pain not to have a car on campus," freshman Shaina Tofias said. "I wish there was a system of temporary permits or something."

But the University could accommodate freshmen by allowing them to park on a specific lot only, according to Tufts University Police Department's (TUPD) Sergeant Paul Riley.

This policy would be implemented much like the current sophomore parking system where students are restricted to parking only, in the Cousen's parking lot.

Dean of Students Bruce Reitman said that there simply is no space for this sort of expansion. "The police have told me 'no,'" he said. "If half the freshmen batch has cars, then that would be approximately an additional 650 cars. Where is the space?"

A second reason there will be no changes to the parking policy is for intangible benefits, according to the University. "First year students usually have issues settling down to academic life. A car is just another temptation," Reitman said.

"Are we being too parental?" he asked. "Perhaps _ but this is the University's policy."

Freshmen who attempt to park cars on campus and sophomores who park out of place will be faced with parking tickets ranging from $15 to $50 depending upon the violation.

Ticketing at Tufts is an activity that takes place 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Riley said.

If they receive a parking violation, students have 14 days to pay or appeal. Collected money from paid tickets goes to the Tufts University General Fund. Unpaid tickets are added to the Bursar's account.

This policy has generated complaints from parents who usually end up paying the costs in the end. These parents are mostly surprised to find the additional amounts added to their bills, Reitman said.

All debt not routinely billed to an account takes a long time to sort out. "We don't have any alternative," Reitman said. "We don't wish to take any disciplinary measures. So, monetary decisions are our only option."

Because the issue is detrimental to University morale, Reitman said that the administration does its best to cut down on as many fines and bills as possible.

But this form of follow-up only applies to Tufts students.

Non-Tufts visitors are issued warning tickets in the case of parking violations. If this happens more than three times, their names are added to TUPD tow lists. Once listed, cars in violation will be removed to Bill Stephens Automotive in Medford.

At Bill Stephens, car owners must pay $75 for the tow and $20 per day of storage.

The policy has not completely deterred visitors from irresponsible parking, however. One visitor said that she does not pay tickets because she does not think Tufts will be able to follow up on her. "I'm not sure if they could find out what my car is... registration and all that," Harvard student Mary Jirmanus said. "I did receive a ticket but I don't plan on paying it. I petitioned it and they told me not to bother."

Cases of misticketing _ when the officer has not noticed a valid parking sticker _ can also be petitioned. These instances are "incredibly rare," according to Riley. Officers do sometimes make mistakes, however. "They're only human," he said.

But buying a parking pass may not be worth the price, according to one student. At $190 per year for commuters and $380 for residents, it may be cheaper in the long run to risk ticketing. All previous tickets are usually waived, Riley said, once the parking pass decal is purchased _ as long they are not more than five or six in number.

While parking on campus may not always be convenient with spaces often far away from classes, there is enough space for upperclassmen, Riley said. "Just be nice and legal," he advised.