Men's swimming team prepares for NESCAC championships

As a long and exciting season winds down, the men's swimming and diving team hopes to end with a bang at this weekend's New England Championships. After tapering for over four weeks, the team has shaved down for the weekend. With much preparation on top of a successful 9-1 season, the Jumbos are greatly anticipating the competition.

Despite their enthusiasm, however, the Jumbos will be facing some of the finest swimmers that NESCAC has to offer. Once again, the Jumbos will square off against swimming powerhouses Williams, Hamilton, Middlebury, and Amherst - the same four teams that upstaged Tufts last year. The Jumbos completed their 8-1 season last season with a fifth-place finish.

Williams, last year's champion, will be especially tough to handle. The Ephmen have been a NESCAC dynasty, winning 13 consecutive New England championships in a row. Powering the Williams squad is the two-man tandem of Jeff McBride and Ben Doob. McBride, who holds this year's top times in the 200, 500, 1,000, and 1,650-yard freestyle, was named last year's swimmer of the year. Doob holds this years top times in the 200 butterfly and the 400 individual medley.

The other three squads - Hamilton, Middlebury, and Amherst - should prove to be big obstacles for Tufts as well. Those three teams joined Williams in the top 20 in the NCAA rankings.

Nevertheless, Jumbo's coach Don Megerle remains unfazed. The veteran coach, with 30 years of coaching experience, is confident that Tufts will have a good finish.

"I am so proud of these kids," Megerle said. "We have had such a great season. They have been swimming so well - I am confident for New Englands."

Many of the swimmers seem quite enthusiastic as well. The meet will be the culmination of a career for some, while just a taste of competition for others. Among this year's departing seniors will be captain and freestyler Timmy Bouley, freestylers Matt Bedoukian, Josh Joseph, Reo Kurosu, and John Wu.

This year's successful season can be attributed to the team chemistry and bonding.

"We had a fantastic season," Bouley said. "We had so many great moments together this season. Hanging out together on weekends during taper, the meets, everything has been great."

Even with their high anticipation for the New Englands, the Jumbos are still keeping their feet on the ground, aware of keeping their preparation intact. Many have lost much weight as a result of their diet reduction plans and less rigorous practices. But, what they have lost in weight and muscle, they have gained in rest.

In the championships, expect Bouley and sophomore sensation Tyler Duckworth to lead the Jumbos against the competition. The other 22 swimmers on the squad are planning to step up as well. Many are realistically hoping for a finish between third and fifth place.

"I'm as confident as I've ever been," Bouley said. "It has been a great year, and I've been swimming with a great group. We're focused and ready. With our restful taper, I am hoping that we can have a strong finish in the end."

Though a small group of seniors will be departing this season, there is still much hope for the Jumbos in the future. The freshmen class has been considered to be one of the most talented and involved. Freshmen Seth Baron, Rich Halpert, Mike Rochette, and Alex Turner are amongst this group.

"Our freshman class has been a pleasure to coach," Megerle said. "They bring much energy to the team, which in turn perpetuates into more energy. Our squad is reactive yet relaxed."

Though only 24 swimmers will be competing this weekend, many swimmers not participating will still be joining them in the trip to Hartford for this weekend's events. The competition will be held at Wesleyan University from Friday to Monday.