Where you read it first | Friday, September 6, 2024

Get away from it all at the Tufts Mountain 'Loj'

Students seeking adventure, respite, and a few breaths of mountain air have been heading up to the Loj in greater numbers this semester. Many Jumbos, particularly members of the Tufts Mountain Club, say that campus-wide interest in Tufts' lodge - fondly known as the "Loj" - is growing.

A two-hour drive from Medford in North Conway, NH, the Loj is operated by the Tufts Mountain Club (TMC). Most members agree that heightened interest in the Loj is beneficial for the Loj and its guests.

Beth Thompson, a senior and a member of the Mountain Club, says that the lodge is "great" because it provides a place for people already interested in the outdoors to enjoy nature, and encourages novices within the Tufts student body to try their hand at some new experiences, such as snow shoeing.

The TMC, which is currently repaying the TCU Senate for money lent several years ago for renovations, raises funds by charging overnight guests a small fee ($15 for one night and $20 for two nights for all non-members). This includes the price of dinner, which guests prepare in the kitchen.

More visitors spell more income for the Mountain Club, but some are wary of the long-term effects that heavy use of the Loj may have on its laidback atmosphere. Ultimately, many TMC members including Thompson fear that the relaxed ambiance of the Loj could be threatened by extensive nonmember traffic.

"What makes going to the Loj special is that you're not at a night club, not at a party, but in a situation where you're being yourself," Thompson said. "You get a special insight into peoples' personalities when you can just sit together and relax."

Having groups stay overnight is a good thing, says TMC president and junior Greg Hunt, "as long as they are respectful."

Respectful, that is, of the lodge facilities and, of course, its caretakers from the TMC. Each weekend two members of the TMC Executive Board volunteer to as Hunt puts it, "open up, clean up, and close up." He adds that they also get food for the kitchen, but mainly are present to make sure the lodge is taken care of.

These efforts are intended to enhance to experiences of visitors not only at the lodge, but in the outdoors as well. Among the numerous activities that can be enjoyed in New Hampshire, the Mountain Club makes skiing, snowboarding, and snow shoeing particularly accessible for all guests by offering daily rentals. There is also a rock climbing (or ice climbing, depending on the weather) facility nearby.

So what is there to eat at the lodge? "Fluff," Hunt said jokingly. "No, usually, we eat stir-fry or pasta."

The meals aren't as elaborate as dining hall dishes, but "Simple stuff, like PB&J and cheese sandwiches," Thompson said. Some people make fajitas or omelets, and chocolate chip cookies are a nightly delicacy. Often, however, the dough never makes it to the oven. The kitchen is stocked with all the necessary ingredients, and guests are welcome to bring whatever else they would like to prepare.

And after a long day of snow-shoeing and eating chocolate chip cookie dough, where do students sleep? According to Thompson, beds can be hard to come by.

"If you're lucky and aggressive, you can get a bed," she said.

Otherwise, guests sleep on couches, in armchairs, and on the floor, which is remarkably clean on account of a "no shoes in the house" policy.

Up until last weekend students were also able to dorm closer to nature according to Hunt. He claims that it was possible to sleep "in the igloo out front," but, much to his dismay, before he left the lodge on Sunday, the roof of this snow structure had caved in. "It was bound to happen," Hunt said a little heartbroken.

In addition to the "no shoes" rule, is the policy exists concerning the septic system. The unforgettable signs posted over each toilet read: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." While this policy does not provide for one of the most scenic views at the lodge, the policy conserves water and keeps the toilets from overflowing.

Hunt recommends that guests pack light for a weekend in North Conway.

"A sleeping bag, some clothes, and a toothbrush: that's all you need," Hunt said. Thompson also recommends bringing an open-minded attitude. Essentially, everything else is provided by the TMC.

Some perceive the lodge as another place to go and drink, and the TMC asserts that this is not what it is intended for. The bottom line, Hunt said, is that the lodge is an ideal place to meet new people, explore the outdoors, and relax - but if you cannot imagine having a good time without some drinking involved, don't bother making the drive.

"The Loj is meant to be a base of outdoor adventures in the White Mountains," he added.