DiBiaggio to leave Tufts

After nine years of service as University President and one as President Emeritus, Dr. John DiBiaggio will leave the University this June. DiBiaggio, who currently teaches a class on leadership through the University College of Citizenship and Public Service (UCCPS) and acts as an advisor to newly inaugurated President Larry Bacow, remains unsure of his immediate future.

"You don't just make a decision to do something," DiBiaggio said. "The opportunity comes along you and grab it. I've been contacted by other people to do things but I'm still searching."

DiBiaggio has made it clear that he is not considering another university presidency. "For the moment I'm interested in teaching, writing, and working on the Tufts retirement campaign," he added.

Before accepting the position of Tufts' 11th president, DiBiaggio served as president of Michigan State University from 1985 to 1992, and as president of the University of Connecticut from 1979 to 1985. With 22 years logged as a university president, DiBiaggio pointed out that his campus career began before most undergraduate students were born.

Although he will not serve another term as head academic administrator, DiBiaggio hopes to pursue his ongoing interests in the realm of government and leadership. "I'm still hoping I have an opportunity to participate in some activity where I can influence politics and [community] health," DiBiaggio said. "I want to get into an environment where I can influence public thinking."

One of DiBiaggio's primary concerns is the lack of universal healthcare in the US. He hopes to raise public awareness of this issue and work to institute changes in the system wherever he may be in coming months.

This year, DiBiaggio's primary focus has been his "Leadership for Active Citizenship" class, in which he has enjoyed a close relationship with his students. "I learned as much from them as I think I teach [them]. They're always engaged and informative," he said. DiBiaggio said he finds teaching rewarding and it is something he will definitely miss in the future.

DiBiaggio's course is offered through the UCCPS, which he helped found in 1999. Though the course will be offered next year, a replacement teacher has yet to be found.

Sophomore Mitch Lunn, a student of DiBiaggio's, commented on his unique teaching style. "His knowledge about leadership and different styles has really shown through in the leadership that that he has imparted to the students of his class," Lunn said.

Senior Jesse Levey, a Teaching Assistant (TA) for the class, suggested a future career for DiBiaggio. "I think he should run for Congress," Levey said. "Or at least some kind of public office. I think he'd be great at it."

Levey and several other students recently developed a mock public relations campaign promoting DiBiaggio for Congress as part of an Experimental College marketing class. Their efforts included TUTV segments, radio advertisements, and an ad in the Daily. Levey says that, apart from earning him a good grade, he hopes the project will encourage DiBiaggio to consider a career in politics.

DiBiaggio has also spent much of this year facilitating a smooth transition between University administrations. He has worked closely with Bacow, who came to Tufts from a chancellery at MIT, and had never served previously as a university president. "We've had a wonderful relationship since he arrived and I'm doing all that I can to be helpful to him," DiBiaggio said. "But beyond this year I feel that he is now the President and I should get out of the way. You do what you can and then you move on."

Under DiBiaggio's leadership, Tufts underwent a decade of academic and financial improvements. The University's endowment has nearly tripled since 1992 - increasing from $120 million to almost $600 million - and construction of new facilities has occurred almost constantly. The number of applicants has increased by 70 percent over the past five years, and average grades and test scores among the student body have set new records.

DiBiaggio was noticeably moved when asked how he felt about leaving Tufts. "This institution is really unique. It's a wonderful university and [all students are] lucky to be here."

DiBiaggio hopes students will contribute actively to their communities after graduation. "I think that that's what Tufts is all about and that's why I'm going to miss it so much," he said.