DiBiaggio leaves his mark on Tufts

When students arrived on campus this week, it was hard to miss the new addition to the light posts around the hill. Bright banners highlighting the sesquicentennial logo now adorn many of our walkways, complete with the slogan "Celebrating the Past, Shaping the Future."

As indoor fireworks ushered in a new era at the Class of 2005 Welcome Event last Wednesday, it is easy to get excited about the new directions Tufts will be exploring in the next several years. However, before we look too eagerly to the future, we must pause to acknowledge those individuals who made Tufts what it is today.

There has been a tremendous amount of change in the administrative offices in recent months, most notably Larry Bacow became our 12th president. And while I am delighted to welcome our new leader and his family, I think it's necessary to pay tribute to John DiBaggio, our departing executive.

President DiBaggio has been an integral part of my Tufts career, not only as an administrator but as a warm hello and reassuring smile around campus. Since even the seniors have only been here for three years it is hard to know just how much of an impact DiBaggio has had on this University.

But a brief look at his nine years at Tufts indicates that he is responsible for much of the school's increasing selectivity and national acclaim. In less than ten years he oversaw the tripling of our endowment, from $180 million to nearly $600 million. The capital campaign that he began exceeded its expectation by almost $200 million. This money gives the University the ability to construct new buildings, fund new initiatives, and improve those things that already exist here at Tufts.

DiBaggio also strengthened the University's already impressive commitment to public service by spearheading the creation of the University College for Citizenship and Public Service (UCCPS). While still in its nascent stages, the UCCPS has the potential to revolutionize education not only at Tufts, but around the globe.

Under DiBaggio's vision, our generation's propensity to volunteer will not remain merely an extracurricular activity but will become an important part of our educational development. Because of DiBaggio's hard work, Tufts is at the forefront of training active citizens. Tufts students will no doubt have a greater impact on the world because of the skills they garner here.

DiBaggio's commitment to Tufts and its students is clear. Even as his tenure as president comes to a close, he has no intention of disappearing. He has a new office on campus and will continue to be active in the UCCPS and his other endeavors. So if you see President DiBaggio around campus, be sure to thank him for his years of hard work and dedication to this University. I think we are incredibly lucky that he has decided to stay close to Tufts. I hope he will continue to impart his wisdom and vision for Tufts for years to come.

I hope President Bacow can learn from DiBaggio's accessibility, dedication to the students, and commitment to building the best institution possible. If leadership had to change during my tenure at Tufts, perhaps my senior year is the perfect time. I had the advantage of being a student under a respected and well-established leader, but now have the opportunity to welcome a new leader and have at least a little impact on the direction of Tufts' future.

As I, and the other members of the "sesquicentennial class," begin our final year here, we are filled with memories of three amazing years and with a little bit of apprehension of the future to come. We have been very fortunate to have had President John DiBaggio be a part of our time here and should look forward to what our new president, Larry Bacow, can add.

Erin Ross is a senior majoring in political science. She is a member of the Tufts Community Union Senate.