The houses that Tufts built

With the trustees' decision to build a new dorm, consideration must now be given to some logistical matters: Where to build it, how to design it, and how to fund it. In 1991, expanding demand for on-campus housing prompted the construction of South Hall, a facility that houses up-to 300 students. Tufts currently boasts 16 dorms and various special-interest housing, and each structure has its own history - from West Hall's chapel for divinity school students to Metcalf, which was dubbed the "Bird Cage" because of the stringent rules imposed on female residents at the time.

West Hall

Built: 1871

West was built for $72,497.26 to serve as a dorm for students of Tufts College and the Tufts College Divinity School, which was established in 1869 and closed in 1968 due to inadequate funding and a low endowment.

Tufts began construction on West in 1871, and the building was completed in 1872. The western half of West was assigned to the divinity school, which included a small chapel and classrooms on the first floor and dormitory rooms on the upper floors. In 1891, the divinity school moved to Paige and Miner halls, from which point on West only accommodated students.

While not the first building to house students, West is the oldest dorm still used on campus.

Metcalf Hall

Built: 1893

Metcalf was originally built as a women's dorm. It was named for Albert Metcalf, a member of Tufts' Board of Trustees who provided the majority of funds for the building. Metcalf included a women's dining hall, and was supervised by a house matron. Residents could only receive guests in common areas, and were required to be in their rooms by 10 p.m. each night. Male students dubbed Metcalf the "Bird Cage" because of its residents' gender.

In 1937, Metcalf's west side was added to provide more female housing, nearly doubling the size of the original building. The dorm eventually went co-ed.

Stratton Hall

Built: 1927

Stratton was built with the help of a bequest of $50,000, donated by Martha Stratton Ensign. The dorm was designed to serve as a central housing facility for Jackson College, ending the need for the "cottage system" of housing that housed Jackson students in several Tufts-owned houses around campus. Also upon completion, Paige Hall, which had been housing Jackson students, became an academic building once again.

The new dormitory included a suite for the house mistress, a "sleeping porch" on the roof, and a dining hall for residents. During World War II, Stratton Hall was used as a barracks for ROTC students.

Carmichael Hall

Built: 1952

Tufts began construction on Carmichael Hall, built as a men's dorm, in 1952, and completed the building in 1954. Carmichael was named for Tufts president and trustee Leonard Carmichael (1938-1952). Built on the former site of the Mystic Reservoir, the dormitory was constructed to house students in the Navy and Air Force ROTC programs.

The estimated construction cost was $1 million.

Bush Hall

Built: 1959

Bush was originally built as a women's dorm. Named for Edith Linwood Bush, Jackson's Dean from 1925 to 1952, Bush was dedicated in November 1959, along with the Dewick dining hall.

In 1991, no undergraduates lived in Bush because of the low demand for campus housing - a result of the completion of South Hall and a drop in off-campus housing prices. Instead, Tufts housed graduate students in Bush for that academic year. Bush underwent major renovations in 1995 and once again houses undergrads.

Wren and Haskell halls

Built: 1964, 1965

Wren and Haskell were constructed concurrently - Wren as an uphill men's dorm and Haskell as a downhill women's residence. Because they were built at the same time, the two dorms share the same design, in which rooms are grouped into suites and common areas. Wren was named for Frank G. Wren, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for 25 years. Haskell was named for Harold Clifford Haskell, a Tufts trustee from 1952 to 1957, and his wife, Ruth Sibley Haskell.

Lewis Hall

Built: 1969

Lewis was originally built as a women's dorm, but by the time of its opening, it was designated as a co-ed facility - the first of its kind on campus. In 1972, Lewis was named for Leo Rich Lewis, a professor of music and a composer of numerous University songs.

Lewis' construction was plagued with unrest, with most controversy surrounding minority representation on the workforce. When construction began, Tufts was concerned that its contractor was not complying with regulations regarding minority representation on federally-funded projects. The Afro-American Society, then a student organization at Tufts, became heavily involved in the matter. A series of peaceful confrontations between students, faculty, and the construction company ensued.

Due to continuing concern over minority representation, Tufts filed suit in state court in the fall of 1969 seeking a declaratory judgment as to whether the contractor had complied with affirmative action guidelines. The construction company counter-sued, but both suits were eventually dropped.

Prior to the dedication of the building in Professor Lewis' honor, students referred to the dorm as "Freefer Hall," after an Observer article reported on a donation from Quentin P. Freefer and his wife, both Tufts graduates and champions of equal rights for both sexes. Although the article was clearly a hoax - it was attributed to "Ima F. Rawde," - Freefer Hall quickly took hold as the building's name. When the University decided officially to name the building Lewis Hall, students unsuccessfully petitioned to keep the original name.

South Hall

Built: 1991

Tufts' newest and largest dormitory was built to increase housing for juniors. Financed without help from any major donor, South was chosen as a temporary name to describe the building's location. The University hopes to rename the dorm upon receipt of a sizeable donor or trustee gift.

- Information compiled from Tufts History: A Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History