Graduate school news

New certificate programs created in bioengineering and computer science

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences launched two programs this year geared towards educating students on advances in technology. A part-time program in computer science was created for adults in search of a career change, while the bioengineering certificate program was instituted as a part of the University's new bioengineering center.

The computer science program is open to individuals who have completed at least a bachelor's degree in any discipline as well as a college introductory computer programming course. The program is equivalent to an undergraduate minor program in computer science.

A separate certificate program in computer science was also started this year, and consists of four graduate-level courses designed to update computer skills and broaden knowledge in several technological fields. The program allows students to cluster course electives around a particular interest or specialty and may be combined with the post-baccalaureate minor program, as the curriculums complement one another.

The bioengineering certificate program is a part of the Tufts Bioengineering Center, a new collaborative "mega-center" which provides opportunities to conduct research related to biotechnology, biomaterials, and tissue engineering. The course of study in the certificate program will allow students to choose a focus in one of these fields.

Medical and Dental Schools to train people from United Arab Emirates

Tufts Medical and Dental schools signed an agreement with the Ministry of Health of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to provide formal and informal training for qualified physicians, dentists, researchers, technicians, and administrative personnel from the UAE over the next five years. The University will also accept ten qualified UAE students over the same time period into medical and dental degree programs.

Both the dental and medical schools will make technology transfer and education opportunities available to students in the UAE. Another program via the US Department of Treasury recently allowed Tufts to renew a similar agreement with the Saudi Arabian government that expired last July.

Chairs endowed at Fletcher and Dental Schools

New chairs were endowed by several of Tufts' graduate schools. The Dental School awarded the Dr. Erling Johansen (D '49) Endowed Professorship for Dental Research to Dr. Athena Papas, a faculty member in the dental medicine program.

The position was established by Edward Becker, a 1934 graduate of the Dental School, and is the first the school has endowed. Becker named the chair in honor of Johansen, who served as dean of the Dental School for over 16 years.

The Fletcher School established the Henry Leir Chair in Humanitarian Studies. Peter Uvin, the first holder of the Chair, delivered an inaugural lecture entitled "Promoting Development and Peace: Crossing Conceptual Boundaries and Conventional Borders" on Dec. 7.