Official ceremony dedicates Dowling Hall

Administrators, faculty, and friends of the University gathered in Goddard Chapel last Thursday to honor Trustee and alumnus John Dowling and to officially mark the newest addition to the Tufts campus - Dowling Hall.

Although the arrival of Dowling and his family was slightly delayed due to traffic on the interstate, the dedication proved to be a poignant recognition of Dowling's philanthropy and a culmination of the successful two-year building project.

"Dowling Hall has become a bustling hub of activity, which allows students to save up to half the time they used to spend zigzagging across campus, thus affording them more time to study, socialize, and volunteer," remarked President John DiBiaggio.

The building's namesake, John Dowling, graduated from Tufts in 1959 and is now a University trustee and member of the Arts and Sciences board of overseers. He recently retired after 40 years in the business of leasing office space in New York City and around the nation. When he was first offered a role in the creation of the Student Services center and parking garage, Dowling leapt at the opportunity to give something back to his alma matter.

"It would not be appropriate for me to be associated with an academic building," joked Dowling, after describing some of his memorable and humorous academic experiences at Tufts.

"This isn't an academic building, it's a student building. And the things it contains - the bursar's office, financial aid, career services, and a place for job interviews - well, those are not necessarily comforting places."

To alleviate this potential discomfiture, Dowling took it upon himself to investigate elephant sculptures from around the world so that "the spirit of Jumbo presiding over the building would ensure a successful outcome." The immense, green result of his efforts now presides over the Dowling Hall entrance, staring down at students as they traverse the recently constructed foot bridge.

In honor of the occasion, several administrators and faculty members spoke about the significance of Dowling's achievements. James Stern, the vice-chair of the board of trustees, spoke of how Dowling's generosity made this project possible. Dowling previously contributed funds to dedicate a room in Eaton Hall in honor of his favorite Tufts professor, Betty Burch. He is also a key player in the Tufts Development Corp.

"Dowling knows a lot about the value of real estate, and it really shows in Dowling Hall," Stern said.

Kristine Dillon, dean of Academic Services and Student Affairs, spoke about the programs within Dowling Hall and the importance of the building to student services. "After two years of review, design, organization, and consultation, we have finally put it all together and have found that it's working." Dillon noted that Tufts is ranked amongst the top 20 schools nationally in the field of student services, and that it will be hosting a national conference on student services in the summer of 2001.

Several additional tributes were made in Dowling's honor. Music Department Chair John McDonald, along with three graduate students, composed a piece entitled "The Dowling Foursome for String Quartet." McDonald described this composition as "a modern piece to celebrate a modern building." The score will be presented to the Dowling family.

In addition, Medford Mayor Michael McGlynn presented the University with a photograph of a recent city-wide event which Tufts helped to sponsor, to serve as a symbol of the improving relationship between the city and Tufts. The photograph will be displayed in Dowling Hall. McGlynn said that Dowling Hall will help benefit Medford, as the 500 new parking spaces in the building's garage will house cars that once occupied on-street parking needed by Medford residents.

The novelties within Dowling Hall are not just limited to the services it provides. The structure itself has already been the recipient of a significant honor. Last week, DiBaggio received word that Dowling Hall won a first place award for Institutional Commercial construction in a statewide competition. The building will be entered into a national design competition in March.

Construction workers broke ground on the $14 million project in December, 1998, with an original completion date of Jan. 15, 2000. Though winter weather delayed some of the construction, it finally opened this fall. Scores of students have already benefited from its services, and they have found it well worth the wait.