Asians misrepresented in Viewpoints

To the Editor:

Although I was a little disappointed that the block schedule and President's Lawn were deemed more picture-worthy, I was still pleased by the coverage of the Asian American month kickoff rally ("Asian-American month activities aim to increase unity, visibility of culture groups," 10/31) which took place this Monday. The theme of the event was "Empowerment Through Visibility," and speakers stressed the importance of speaking out and fostering unity, both within the Asian community and with other minority groups, in order to work toward common goals.

After turning the pages, however, I was dismayed to read several comments in the Viewpoints section that perpetuate the very stereotypes that minority groups are trying so hard to break. Jennifer Marsidi's describes herself as a non-"typical" Asian ("The Tufts smile," 10/31), because of the fact she weighs more than 90 pounds and doesn't have "shiny straight Asian hair" or "porcelain skin." Marsidi's picture of the face of an Asian is ultimately inaccurate and highly East Asian-centered, ignoring the rest of the Asian community, many of whom are South Asian and, like Marsidi, do not fit the physical mold she presents. Furthermore, Marsidi indicates that all Asians simply blend in, ignoring the uniqueness and individuality amongst Asians on this campus.

Even more upsetting than Marsidi's comments about physical appearances was Lisa de Elizalde's Viewpoint ("A natural bond," 10/31), which discussed why many people of similar backgrounds form friendships. To prove her point, de Elizalde makes several generalizations about entire groups of students, from music tastes to the volume of their conversations. On a personal note, I resent de Elizalde's characterization of Asian Americans as people who "speak quietly" and tend "to be more hushed." Furthermore, her depiction of "cap-and-baggy-pant-clad Americans" separates and distinguishes people of color from "normal" Americans. Does the shape of my eyes make me, a fourth-generation citizen, any less American than a white person?

I implore the entire Tufts community to stop spreading false stereotypes. Saying that one racial group acts a certain way creates harmful separations and hinders understanding. It is not a common physicality or personality that often draws minority communities together; it is the fight against the perception of this sameness.

Kristen Kawachi LA '02